slug.com slug.com

2 0

To judge or not to judge

When is it ok to judge people? Personal, internal judgement. Ex: a person you know has an abortion, and your personal view is that abortion is murder. Do you allow your personal views to create an internal discussion within yourself, which ultimately leads to you judging this person?

DylanMc29 3 Feb 16

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you have a relationship with this person then a conversation is in order. With understanding, repentance and then self forgiveness may occur. I would urge that you not considerate it a judgement of their past (you have no right to that position). However, we all need to make judgements to navigate the future.

Something I always say is that judgement is unavoidable. When you adopt the maxim, "do not judge people", it logically should take away your ability to judge people positively as well as negatively. When people say "don't judge me", what they really mean is, "don't judge me negatively", this is not a reasonable request, because they innately know that what they have done is likely wrong, and are attempting to influence, if not fully avoid the repercussions of their actions. As far as your specific case goes, you have to ask yourself, what are your values concerning abortion, and what are theirs? Do you think that your values are more moral, enough so that it justifies negatively judging this person? Do you have enough information of the given scenario to judge accurately? And as a Judge, would you personally consider it more ethical to be one who deals in merciful judgement, or in harsher judgement?

Thanks for responding. Excellent response as well. I may come back to this tomorrow when I have my laptop and respond further to some of your points. I specifically like your last question pitting merciful and harsh judgement. Staying with that, I am going to be as brief as I can in explaining how I came to even posting my question. I personally do not think abortion is murder, but my wife does. To be fair, our views are much more complex but for another time. Recently my wife has been hanging out a person, whom is friends with her sister, who is a drug addict. We have discussed this, and through this discussion my wife has said that I am "judging" this person. I agreed that I was, and as you stated, I tried to explain that we all judge. She followed with, "well you tell me not to judge people who have had an abortion".... Damn..she got me. I thought she got me. Did she? Should my response have been, "you are right, and from now on I will tell you that it is ok to judge a person whom has had an abortion"?

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20106
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.