slug.com slug.com

9 2

Ideology vs. Religion

What are the differences between ideology and religion?

SpencerHarmon 3 Feb 25

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I believe that religion is a construct in which to define God. But the more I study religions the more I feel God won't fit into the box of religion.

Maybe there's layers?

Ideology:
a system of ideas and ideals, especially one which forms the basis of economic or political theory and policy.
"the ideology of republicanism"
synonyms:
beliefs · ideas · ideals · principles · doctrine · creed · credo · teaching · [more]

the ideas and manner of thinking characteristic of a group, social class, or individual.
"a critique of bourgeois ideology"
synonyms:
system of belief · set of principles · statement of beliefs · [more]

archaic
the science of ideas; the study of their origin and nature.
archaic
visionary speculation, especially of an unrealistic or idealistic nature.

Religion
the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.
"ideas about the relationship between science and religion"
synonyms:
faith · belief · divinity · worship · creed · teaching · doctrine · [more]

a particular system of faith and worship.
"the world's great religions"
synonyms:
faith · religion · religious belief(s) · religious persuasion · religious conviction · religious group

a pursuit or interest to which someone ascribes supreme importance.
"consumerism is the new religion"

Seems to me the argument could be made that an Ideology is Religeon without the metaphysical. Depending on where it were to be applied and in what setting socially.

In my opinion ideology is a worldview and religion/spirituality is about practice. (orthodoxy and orthopraxy) you can have an ideology without a religion but never vise versa.
Just my opinion, if im wrong please let me know.
Yours.

This seems to me very accurate. Something etemologically that struck me as enlightening is the differences between suffixes: ology, ism, ation.
[theologetics.org]

-ology:
a subject of study; a branch of knowledge

-ism:
a distinctive practice, system, or philosophy

-ation:
process, action; state of

Lingustically we can see that these distinctions are really crucial to understand the deep semantics of, both the prescriptive intent and the descriptive utilization.

I would say an ideology is the set of values that define how one lives their lives. Religion is a way of organizing individuals that share those ideologies. I think that’s why some people love faith in god but hate religion. It’s like politics, you may share the same values as the Republican Party but they might do something you don’t like or agree with.

Depends on which religion (i.e. Christianity is evolutionary true therefore not ideological). But lesser religions are definitely ideologies, like Communism and Equality of Outcomes

Religion is a subset of ideology, in that religion justifies its doctrines by mandating the existence of a supernatural, mythical entity.

Religion is an attempt to explain the origins of the universe. Ideaology is often related to politics or philosophy.

It really depends on which school of thinking you belong to. According to some, religion in general is a claim about various aspects of the universe writ large, and then (usually) attaching supernatural elements to these claims. To others, religion is a moral system that guides behavior and the supernatural element is less than absolutely critical. My understanding is that ideology is something that forms on top of a pre-existing belief system like Christianity. Not necessarily in a negative way either, as most denominations could be viewed as differing takes on the Christian ideology. There are also ideologies that are not religious at all, such as political or economic ideologies. Religion and Ideology are very similar, almost symbiotic in a sense. I may be giving ideology short shriff here, this is a decent article I found online talking about this. [ipsnews.net]

The way I see it religion is social concepts created by man in an effort to makes sense of the universe. Where in ideology is simply just and idea that you could base a religion on. Razor thin lines in between them for sure sometimes

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20778
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.