slug.com slug.com

10 1

Congressional term limits

Do you think there will ever come a time when term limits for Congress are enacted ? What do we need to do to make this happen?

• 12 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 3 votes
Mojo71 4 Mar 12

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I sure hope we see it sooner rather than later. When politician's get rich while serving the people, that's a problem.

States have passed laws through their initiative powers to enact term limits on their congressmen and women to the U.S. Congress, but these laws were held unconstitutional by the Supreme Court in U.S. Term Limits, Inc. v. Thornton, 514 U.S. 779 (1995). The Court held that States cannot impose additional restrictions, such as term limits, on its representatives in the federal government beyond those provided by the Constitution because, according to the Court, the Framers intended the Constitution to be the only source of qualifications for U.S. congressmen. It was a 5-4 decision. Stevens, Souter, Ginsburg, Kennedy, and Breyer vs. Thomas, Rehnquist, O'Connor, and Scalia.
I don't know what Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Alito think about this issue, but they are all right of Kennedy, so they might reverse. My only concern is Roberts. I don't think he'd go along with a reversal. This kind of case would have to wait until RBG is off the court and replaced by someone in the mold of Scalia (Amul Thapar or Amy Coney Barrett). I think it will be a few years before anything could happen.

The other alternative is a constitutional amendment passed by the legislatures of each state.

We need a revolution to bring the republic back. Democracy is a godsend for lunacy.

"Follow the Benjamins" in their own words.

We need to implement the convention of states (5th amendment) and take the power back to the people to enact term limits and other important measures.

If only we could tie this to repeal of the 17th Amendment. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

I know that there are some great ones but to make if better I agree with term limits.

Ted Cruz has been trying but if we can get the Convention of the Stats to pass... Just saying... 😉

I hope so, and would think the and upcoming SJW would take care of it, if they can ever break free of the indoctrination they suffer from.

I'd give my vote to the next Congressional candidate that runs on that platform.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22348
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.