slug.com slug.com

7 6

Favourite military novel and why.

What is your favourite military/war novel and why?

Mine is Devils Guard by George Robert Elford and Starship Troopers by Robert A Heinlein.

1. it’s a good story which shows why even though the nazis did some horrible things they were human just like the rest of us and war was one thing they were very good at.

2. it’s a nice read but in the middle of the book it not only predicted the future (modern day) but it also explained the reasons behind the predictions which were pretty accurate.

Lancer 3 Apr 5

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The last world war 1&2 by dayton ward. Fast paced multi theatre sci-fi based in a contemporary post 9/11 world.

Sharpe Series by Bernard Cornwell and shows because they where told from a soldiers point of view. Liked the TV series and actually got to visit some of the battle sites when in Spain. The breach at Ciudad Rodrigo was still visible when I visited just like Cornwell depicted. Also liked non fiction books on the Peninsular War like Wellington in the Peninsula by Jac Weller. I think Wellington's Army in the Peninsula and Lee's Army of Northern Virginia where two of the best Armies of all time. PS I am going to steal your idea ask for another similar question. Just kidding but Q: What is your favorite War movie and why?

My favourite war movie would be (joke) starship troopers with its over the top propaganda and its record for having the most blanks fired in a single scene.

(Serious) Seige of Jadotsville. It just goes to show that when push comes to shove the governments are more concerned about their politics than the lives of soldiers and civilians.

The Old Breed - Sledge WWII Pacific Theater Classic. Not a novel but a detailed account of a soldier's fight at The Battle of Peleliu and Okinawa. It was written so well that you could nearly smell the rotting flesh in his rain filled fox hole, too dangerous to move for a week.

The Black Company Series by Glen Cook. Very gritty and realistic depiction of soldiers lives in a "fantasy" setting.

The Thousand Hour Day is about Poland before WWII. There is a lot of information about how Europe failure to act resulted in a catastrophic war. If Europe had supported Poland and France the Nazi movement would have been snuffed out.
It is definitely a different perspective. It gave me a lot to think about.

Sharpe's Rifles (and sequels).

Good, "boy's own" style adventures taking place against a backdrop of true historical events that happened during the Peninsular War 1808 - 1814.

No moralizing or hidden agendas - just a ripping yarn!

Red Storm Rising - Tom Clancy - multi-theater WW3 novel with good guys and bad guys as only Clancy can do.
If we're going sci fi then just about any of David Weber's Honor Harrington books. He explains the mechanics of future warfare and then finds clever ways where one side is able to exploit those mechanics to win battles.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27741
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.