slug.com slug.com

3 0

LINK Why Facts Don’t Change Our Minds

Some good points, some missing points.

"The most heated arguments often occur between people on opposite ends of the spectrum, but the most frequent learning occurs from people who are nearby. The closer you are to someone, the more likely it becomes that the one or two beliefs you don't share will bleed over into your own mind and shape your thinking. The further away an idea is from your current position, the more likely you are to reject it outright."

VonO 7 Apr 21

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have found that many liberal people I have bonded with BEFORE they know my political point of view, are far more willing to hear me and agree on common ground.
Lesson is be quiet, hear other people out and find other avenues that you can build a relationship on.

Interesting article. To be given a love for truth and the willingness to seek it is, indeed, a gift. A question I often ask, before engaging a person about an idea they may hold is, "If you were wrong about something, would you want someone to tell you?" The person who ignores the question, and refuses to answer, is harder to take seriously, and I realize they haven't been given this gift yet.

Sometimes we are not as far as we think. When we start at what we CAN agree upon, maybe even the weather, we can begin to close the distance. Miracles occur when we lessen the prejudice (pre judging).

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:32768
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.