slug.com slug.com

2 2

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hi Naomi,
These seem useful, I guess... sometimes.
For example, an Appeal to Privacy could actually be none of your business. If you can demonstrate how you are negatively affected, then you've exposed "mind your own business" as an invalid argument. If you can't, then it's probably valid and the "fallacy" does not apply.
But that's just debating... I'm not sure that it's useful to try to pre-determine potential invalid arguments, give them a name, and then memorize them for identification in the wild. There are seemingly infinite possibilities.
And if you call someone on the "Appeal to Privacy" fallacy... then you're still just left with the task of proving that their appeal is, in fact, invalid; which is where you were already.

There are a small number of commonly-deployed "formal" fallacies that are known to be demonstrably inconclusive under the proven structures of propositional logic.
Those are useful to know. I would recommend "Intro to Propositional Logic" to everybody... and that also gives insight into recognizing these other instances where the train of thought has just gone off the rails.

Hello rway.
Can you think of an example of an Appeal to Privacy being a valid argument when you can't demonstrate how you are negatively affected?

Hi @Naomi
well... I'm thinking that the Appeal to Privacy is a valid argument, in that case. It's only a fallacy if you are, in fact, being negatively impacted but the person doing it says to "mind your own business."
If I am taking some action that is negatively affecting you, that is your business.
But, it will be hard to convince me to stop based solely on that claim... if you can't successfully articulate or show any basis for where that "feeling" comes from in the first place.

I always liked the argument ender: "Oh yeah buddy, lets take it outside!"

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:114878
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.