slug.com slug.com

2 1

Covid-19: Is it better to be safe than sorry?

I don't know anyone with the virus. I know people who work in preventative medicine and the Australian Health Department and they are convinced that its real. Still, I don't personally know anyone that has been infected. But if there's a chance something like a face mask could save us from the virus, wouldn't it be better to take precautions and wear one?

• 1 vote
  • 1 vote
  • 0 votes
  • 0 votes
Lilu 5 July 27

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Being a classical libertarian at heart, who is concerned about the authoritarian Marxism that seems to have infected society, I tend to have an aversion to the idea of being subjected to unnecessary laws.

With that in mind, and being the mask-skeptic that I am, my preference is not to have laws requiring the wearing of masks.

Here in Queensland, we have never been required to wear masks, and we seem to be doing quite well.

I do recognize the principle, though, that a functional society inevitably needs to enact and enforce laws that will not have universal support, and it is inevitable that some bad laws will be made sometimes. Losers' consent is an essential part of any healthy democracy.

I think Avi's main point is super important... There will be people whose job it is to enforce laws I don't like, and which they may not necessarily like either. Giving them a hard time won't necessarily achieve anything good, and may swing public opinion against one's cause. We need to pick our battles and fight real enemies, not people who are suffering along with us.

Man! Life gets nuanced and complicated sometimes!

Wee said.

While I am unsure on the effectiveness of masks, I am also willing to wear one in the off chance it helps. My philosophy is take all the precaution you can while being able to live life and not ending up starving on the street. If that means I wear a mask any time I get near people than so be it. However, if I am outside and no one is standing right next to me, that mask is coming off for a bit. Hand sanitizer seems more critical though as we put so much bacteria in our mouth from our hands.

I only wear one if I'm going shopping or any place where it is impossible not to be near others. I'm not sure how effective they are either because the virus can still enter though your eyes. I know one thing for sure, my shopping bill has gone up with hand moisturizer and sanitizer being added to my shopping list.

@Lilu That's the truth!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:116482
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.