slug.com slug.com

1 1

House passes bill repealing all of Trump’s travel bans and preventing future presidents from enacting similar bans

[jihadwatch.org]

RAZE 7 July 28

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thankfully, I can't see the the current Republican majority senate allowing this bill to pass, even if it gets past Grim Reaper McConnell. Even if it somehow passed both the house and senate, surely it would not survive Trump's veto.

That said, the GOP clearly has a RINO problem.

Republicans of Texas' 23rd congressional district and Pennsylvania's 1st congressional district: For the sake of national security, you need to primary your representatives who voted for this bill at the next opportunity.

I wouldn't think such a law would survive the supreme Court either. Well, at least it shouldn't, but with Chief Justice Roberts' crazy rulings these days, who knows?

@KeithThroop Well, I would like to think that is the case. For SCOTUS to legitimately overrule it, it would have to violate the constitution, wouldn't it? I'm not all that familiar with the US Constitution, but I don't know what part this would violate... Always happy to be educated.

@DaveO276 I think the stated view is that the President has been authorized by Congress in past legislation to authorized or ban the travel of all aliens or certain classes of aliens and that, since Congress gave this power, congress can remove it. this view is reflected here, for example:

[heritage.org]

That view may well be the right view. But I suspect that a case could be made that, as the Commander-in-Chief whose duty it is to protect the country from its enemies, the President must be able to restrict the entry of certain aliens or classes of aliens in order to perform that duty. In fact, I suspect an argument could be made that the Congress tacitly recognized that this must be the case when it passed the previous law. But, then, a previous President also signed that into law and, it could be argued, tacitly agreed that Congress itself actually gave him the authority via its own Constitutional powers. Now, I'm no Constitutional scholar either, but I would sure like to see such a debate.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:116824
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.