slug.com slug.com

1 1

Alice Johnson receives full pardon from President Trump

[foxnews.com]

RAZE 7 Aug 28

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Frankly, although I had no problem with the commutation of what appears to have been an obviously unjust sentence, I see no good reason to pardon someone who actually committed the crime for which she was convicted and admits that she did. After all, if correcting an injustice is what the President was after, then he had already achieved it, it seems to me.

Would a pardon restore some rights to her that a commutation would not? I'm thinking of the Roger Stone case... With him still being a convicted felon, I understand he cannot purchase a firearm.

To me, this fits perfectly with what the word "pardon" technically means, even although it may be different to the way the pardon power is sometimes used. To me the word "pardon" implies forgiveness - meaning it is still acknowledged that she broke the law.

I believe the pardon power is often used differently to that, such as when a law under which a person was convicted has since been overturned (especially if it is determined to have been an unconstitutional law). To me, it seems strange that someone would need to be pardoned or forgiven for having violated a law that has since been overturned. I think there should be an acknowledgement of their innocence, and I would prefer there be a different term for that, which doesn't imply wrongdoing.

@DaveO276 Good points, but I think she would still have been guilty under current laws, even if the current laws wouldn't have demanded or allowed such a stiff sentence as she originally received. After all, possessing illegal drugs with intent to sell and money laundering are still crimes. Having said that, I'm all for forgiveness. I'm glad she has been forgiven by God, and I certainly have nothing but forgiveness toward her in my own heart. I'm just a bit nervous sometimes about either establishing or continuing a precedent of issuing pardons to those whom we are certain have actually committed crimes. Such a power can easily be misused -- just think of what Joe Biden would do with it. And, given that it is pretty much an absolute power that the President has, it should be used very carefully. At any rate, if it is going to be used in a case where the person is known with certainty to be guilty of the crime, I can't think of a better candidate than Alice Johnson, and I can honestly say that I am happy for her.

@KeithThroop Yes, I agree. She would have still been guilty under current laws. I went off on a tangent there not related to this individual case.

Like most things, the pardon power can and will be misused. Nothing is perfect in this world. The people have an important role to play in electing representatives who will wield their powers faithfully. In a system of checks and balances, injustice still happens but there are mechanisms in place by which it can be halted when it happens, so that it proceeds no further.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:126944
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.