slug.com slug.com

1 1

Perils of social isolation: Suicides up among young people in Wisconsin's second largest county...
[thelibertarianrepublic.com]

SpikeTalon 10 Oct 21

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Suicide has become such a problem in our society. It is so sad. I fear the root causes, however, run much deeper in our society that just the pressure and isolation of the lockdowns. These may be the immediate cause of many suicides, but I seriously doubt that they are the ultimate cause. It seems to me that people with a strong moral foundation and a deep sense of hope are not usually those so adversely affected by such things, and such people are generally people of faith who come from strong families.

I have begun to think about this quite a bit as a veteran, for example, who knows that there are about 17 U.S. veterans per day who commit suicide, and I suspect that this rate has only gone up with the lockdowns. I would like better statistics than I've been able to find, but it seems to me that suicide is on the rise among veterans just as it is among the civilian population. For example, I don't recall WW2 or Korean War veterans committing suicide at the rate that veterans do today, and I can't help but think that there are cultural changes that factor into it.

I don't doubt people of faith can overcome feelings of suicide, but oddly enough everyone that I knew personally who had committed suicide were individuals of strong faith. One of the youngest I knew was a guy I went to high school with who intentionally overdosed on Heroin, and the church community was his life, he was 24 years old. Another was less than a month shy of his 19th birthday when he hung himself, and about two years prior to that I can recall having a good time with him at a church lock-in (like a sleepover except at a church instead of at home) in which he had helped organize. About a year and a half ago a neighbor who is also a good friend of mine was diagnosed with breast cancer for a third time, attempted suicide and was rushed to the hospital as a result, thankfully she survived.

@SpikeTalon You may be right, although my own experience has been quite different. What are your thoughts about the possible cultural changes that might be leading to an apparently higher number of suicides among younger generations than in the past? Just wondering. No agenda.

@KeithThroop The politically correct fueled far left progressive movement started to gain traction shortly after the new millennium, and over the last twenty or so years now I've observed that more people are being diagnosed with depression and acts of violence are on the rise. Knowing the collectivist attitude of the progressive left that absolutely disdains individual liberties, I theorize that even though people may pretend to go along with and believe such politics are beneficial to all, deep down inside the divisiveness that is produced from such policies can and do put a strain on individuals, making one feeling without worth and wondering if there ever will be an end to such feelings. In other words... some policies have shifted our society away from individualism which I think by nature human beings are individualist, in favor of collectivism which does not acknowledge individual achievements and contributions, and that in turn has led to more cases of depression and by extension criminal acts. Shortly after the Revolutionary War society remained largely individualist for a long period of time, and the citizens were fairly content. So I blame a growing collectivist mentality for such ills in society. The left is no longer genuinely liberal, they have become progressive control freaks determined to control every aspect of our personal lives, and the US was at its best when the focus was on individual liberties and less manipulation of our personal lives.

@SpikeTalon Somehow I knew you would have some interesting food for thought.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:142542
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.