slug.com slug.com

3 3

4 mins 37 seconds of your time and attention. Please do comment. All stripes of political thought - liberal, conservative, libertarian, communist...please identify as such and give your thoughts about this video.

iThink 9 Feb 7

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Term limits would be a damn good start! I'm officially an Independent, since you asked.

WWG1WGA! It is not over!! The best is yet to come! Trust the military, they are in charge.

Me: Classical liberal. I've been part of the formation of a political party. In the process, we had many members that sought to have an Article 5 Convention. I've been opposed because there are no constraints on the amendments - in other words, get 2/3rds of the States to call, then 3/4ths to approve an amendment to put the Bible into the framework of the Constitution. The entire premise of freedom of religion could be compromised. Is this likely? No. Could they reinstitute slavery? Theoretically. Those are extreme examples not likely to be considered - but it is what we can't think of that might happen.

The suggestion made in the video, term limits, can't even get the support of ONE state. I think that this is a way to get around the fact that more than 2/3rds of the citizens are like military members and chow - something to complain about but not willing to do anything about it.

40-50% of the population doesn't even vote....leaving 25-30% of the population making the decisions. A convention just reduces that number even further....

If I had to "identify" I suppose "classical liberal" fits. I agree with your comment. My biggest fear about an article 5 convention is the damage that WOULD be done to a Constitution that was as close to perfect as it could have been when codified. An article 5 convention would mean an almost literal opening of Pandoras Box.
Imagine the harm that could be done regarding our basic Bill of Rights. How the politicians might bastardize those 10 amendments such that they limit free speech, criminalize guns, codify ability for illegal search and seizure...
The ONLY problem I can see with the Constitution such as it was written is the politicians and others who have chosen to ignore it - chosen to NOT follow the law. Same with our Immigration policy. Immigration in America is NOT broken. What is broken is our electoral system and the peoples responsibility to participate in their own governance.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:183267
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.