slug.com slug.com

1 1

"We have to start looking at taxation as a vast system of robbery and oppression, by which some people are enabled to live coercively and parasitically at the expense of others. We must realize that from the point of view of justice or of economic prosperity, the less people are taxed, the better."
—Murray N. Rothbard

Wordmage 8 Apr 12

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We must realize that from the point of view of justice or of economic prosperity, the less people are taxed, the better."

So, not all taxation is robbery and oppression. I am glad that he qualified the statement.

He doesn't start out by saying "we have to start looking at most taxation …" so he is including all taxation as being evil. However (in my opinion), he is tacitly acknowledging that, though evil, some taxation is necessary. If we prefer a limited representative government to anarchy, for instance, we need to pay those people who represent us. If we want our government to be able to enact treaties with other nations, say one which will obligate them to respect copyrights, we can't expect our President to cover his own travel & accommodations when visiting those countries. But beyond the most rudimentary costs of maintaining that limited government, "the less people are taxed, the better."

@Wordmage I certainly agree that often taxation is evil and that we should limit the amount of taxation as much as possible. Personally, however, I don't think taxation in and of itself is evil. But there is much difference between our views at the end of the day.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:210311
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.