slug.com slug.com

2 4

Ellen (Elliot) Page: Children WILL DIE If They Can't Be Trans

guru 9 Apr 30

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Whoever wrote the title of the video should rethink it... It does not completely accurately reflect what this individual said. That said, I will make the point that came to mind when I read the title.

You can't legislate feelings, and it would be nice if people "couldn't" be trans, i.e. if there were no such thing as gender dysphoria. As it is, it seems such a mental disorder does exist, and either people are afflicted with it or they are not. These bills don't state that a person is unable or not permitted to experience gender dysphoria, they simply set standards for how medical personnel are to treat these patients if they are children.

There is evidence to suggest gender dysphoria may not always be permanent - especially when it manifests in young children. Unfortunately, this is sometimes shown by the fact that people do de-transition. Some even de-transition whose original transition occurred in adulthood! The left may tell us that this is rare, and they may quote statistics, and we must acknowledge that statistics can be used and abused to "prove" all sorts of falsehoods. Therefore, de-transition (or at least regretting of transition) may be more common than medical authorities would have us believe.

It is so important to protect children from making such serious decisions before the age at which the law generally expects them to be responsible for making important, life-altering decisions. Surgery on biological males to remove genitalia and imitate female genitalia makes the patient irreversibly infertile. Hormone therapies can cause infertility for both sexes. A double mastectomy permanently removes the ability to breastfeed. All of these procedures should be restricted to sound-minded adults who give informed consent.

Well said. But I wonder about whether any of those who choose such surgeries could really be considered "sound-minded" adults if, in fact, gender dysphoria really is a mental disorder. However, I take you to mean that such adults are not considered insane, and are therefore capable of making such decisions.

@KeithThroop Yes, perhaps the choice of wording was a bit off, but even people with recognized mental disorders are sometimes considered to be capable of making some decisions about their healthcare. I believe that an adult with no mental health concern other than gender dysphoria should fall well inside that category.

@DaveO276 Yes.

I agree with Michael on this 100%.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:217838
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.