slug.com slug.com

12 2

What does "Your own truth mean?"

I always thought of it as your own opinion but truth being objective and not belonging to anyone.

AndyAces 5 Mar 9

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The lies I like.

" Your own truth" Is a sort of Oxi'moron. The only place it may even be an actual useful interjection is in cases of faith where your Center .. or truth is not provable or disprovable with any empirical evidence. Science only deals with things it can see, convert to a quantity, or simply tell us it does not exist, based on some model of the universe.

Not truth at all but belief

There is no such thing as "your own truth". Truth is correspondence to reality, and there is only one reality, so if what you think is true contradicts what I think is true, at least one of us must be wrong.

Postmodernists, amongst other philosophers, disagree with every part of the above. But they are wrong (notice that to say I'm wrong they have to contradict their own theory).

There are some innocent, although imprecise, ways of referring to "your own truth", but when analysed precicely what they really mean is: "your perspective of the truth," or "truth as it pertains to you," or "as much of the truth as your context requires."

E.g. "my truth" is that "nuts are good", "your truth" is "nuts are bad (because you are allergic). The truth is that "nuts are good for me and bad for you" and that is the non-contradictory truth for both of us and everyone else.

E.g. To a child the earth is round, to a student, it's a sphere, to a graduate it's an ellipsoid, and to an astronomer, it's oblate spheroid. So which one is right? They are all right! Doesn't that mean that what's true for one person isn't true for another? No. It means that any truth (except fundamental axioms) exists within a context. What the child means by round is that it's not flat like a tabletop - which is true. What the student means is it's not round like a circle. What the graduate means is that it is not a perfect sphere like a billiard ball. But notice that these identifications of an entity don't contradict each other, some just give more information about it than others. An oblate spheroid is also an ellipsoid which is also a sphere which is also round - at least in the contexts in which they are used here. And they all accurately identify the same thing.

There are many more subtle and complicated ways in which expressions such as "your truth" or "true for you but not for me" or putting "truth" in scare quotes, can be used to smuggle in the idea that there's no objective truth. But when analysed clearly and in context they can be seen to be fallacious. Which doesn't phase postmodernists, since they don't believe there is a reality or truth they reject logic, so they are quite happy to embrace fallacies wholesale.

No such a thing. Though there may be many perceptions of a reality, there is always only the truth about it, and a false belief

I don't look at it as "MY Truth", I see it as OUR Truth or HIS Truth for US! I'm not that naive. I'm humble and ONLY ME...

I hear this mostly with respect to religion. It is interesting that many people have found God through different faith traditions, and they pretty much say similar things about Him. I found Him through Jesus Christ, and I'll stick with that 🙂

Anyway, I think this saying relates to following your own conscience (which is hardly objective).

Or particularly true.

One's own personal experience(s) perhaps?

Something that doesn't quite qualify as "THE truth", so one must invent a category within, which, it will fit.

The bottom line is, FACTS are FACTS, opinions and beliefs be damned.

It means that no matter how wrong a person is they can claim that it’s their own truth and as such they are not wrong thus justifying just about any action they may have taken, no matter how horrible

This is a difficult thing to unpack, because people can be unreasonable and fall into group think even if it goes against there beliefs.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:21941
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.