slug.com slug.com

8 4

So I never realized why my mom would make me look up something when I asked her a question. She would say did you check the encyclopedias? Mom how do you spell... Get a dictionary. That one was harder. How am I supposed to find it in the dictionary I can't spell it? You've got the book the answer is in there. You need to try and find it first. She never knew that habit would drive her crazy when she tried to bs me. Now in my 30's I see people of all ages unwilling to cognitively connect the dots of the universe for themselves. Like my mom said we've got the book (the infinite universe) yet some still want to be spoon fed... So Is it better to have an answer told to you, or is it better to do the research yourself.

• 0 votes
  • 19 votes
Rus-T-Balls 7 Mar 10

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

There more than one real danger in being spoon-fed the answers all the time...

1:you get no sense of personal achievement for your effort - as you made no effort in the FIRST place.

2: What are you going to do when those that have spoon-fed you all the answers eventually pass away? you have to get out there and do the hard yards yourself and be able to operate autonomously. The WORLD is now at your fingertips with the availability of the internet. An even THEN you have to learn to decipher rhetoric and fiction from the real facts. ( eg) Fake News VS Actual facts. but it CAN be done with the right amount of tenacity and patience.

Teach your children how think, not what think.

I think in most cases it's better to look it up yourself. When we spend time on something it not only reveals an interest but also a commitment on your part. But we don't always have the time, especially with very detailed subjects. When this is the case we can use someone else for the info but with extreme caution. Using multiple sources, cross checking, and sometimes just a gut feeling as well. When I was younger I fell for a lot of crap and after being burned a few times I realized I was listening more to my heart and what I wanted to be so rather than checking my sources and using my reason to reach a conclusion. Something that has helped me a lot was reading some of the great books of the nineteenth century, because it was interesting and fun but it also revealed a great deal about human nature

Dad always made me look it up. The world book stuff so I would learn how to learn. The dictionary, because he, too, was a horrible speller.

I think there are layers to the answer to that question. If you are looking for something specific such as "How many containers can a cargo ship carry?" - that is something you can google. If, however, you know very little about politics in the last century, then this is too vast a subject to research on your own. There you need to find general historical/political books and lectures. Then, depending on your interest, you can delve deeper into specific areas and do the research yourself. Finding reliable authors can take time. You could ask people you trust, you could stumble upon them - but even spending time with authors you don't agree with can be part of your education. Most subjects require a combination of research of actual facts and sorting through the work of others. You cannot become an expert in every field, but you can have a decent understanding of many subjects. The trick is getting started. It's a lifelong adventure.

Was that actually a question?
If you spend NO time to “get” a answer, the value of that answer is effectively zero. You cut NO grooves in your brain ... you laid NO tracks.
It’s like all those people I know who have “learned” by rote ... who “crammed” for tests ... a few days, a month maybe ... later they remember absolutely nothing. That’s one of the reasons I despise the phrase; “Oh, I’ll just Google it ...”
I don’t know that I agree with your “Infinite Universe” book simile but I suppose everybody’s got their own outlook.
Does that “book” come with a Table of Content? An Index? A Glosssary? It seems that your “book” would be a mite hard to search through.

Best to do your own research in life.

Absolutely dothe research yourself; otherwise, you are letting others do your thinking for you, and those people have their own agendas and motivations to mislead.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22122
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.