slug.com slug.com

1 3

In the June issue of the Marine Corps Gazette is an article about Professional Military Education. It contains the following quote:
“The society that separates the scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools.”
—Thucydides

How many times since McNamara have politicians and cabinet members tried to populate the military with uneducated and unintelligent people? It never works.

FuzzyMarineVet 8 May 23

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That was an unexpected turn. I thought you were heading towards the cowardly civilian scholars with that Thucydides quote.

So are you talking about leadership roles in the military, or all personnel?

@FuzzyMarineVet Yep. Not long now and each division will have military support kittens for marines to cuddle when they are feeling "unsafe".

@FuzzyMarineVet I really feel for you man. Having something you have loved and bled for disrespected and ridden into the ground like that must be excruciatingly emotionally painful. I actually had hope when O'bummer (lol) was elected that things would get better, yet he managed to fuck up worse in every criteria I had hope for, especially race relations. How he is not in prison for what he did using the FBI to fuck with an incoming president... is just par for the course now really I guess.

I hope the Marines hold out at least dude. Be a travesty if they have to change the motto to "Simper Fi." What all this shit will do (is doing) is creating war in the military mind. Obedience to the chain of command must be in place for a military to function at all. Corruption has always been a thing way at the top of that (ie the president), but spreading a mental corruption down through policy into actual military personnel and practice? The only way around that is to leave - which just shifts the mental battleground across to loyalty to your fellow soldiers vs self-interest/sending a message... Do you stay and fight it, leave in protest... Fuck decisions, there is not even a thought a loyal marine can have that doesn't violate the code in some way. They train marines to be tough enough to survive and thrive in hell, but this is mental hell robbing them of all the things that make them tough in the first place. I'm kinda talking out my arse here as a soft-cock civilian trying to imagine the situation from the little I know and to empathize, but this all seems utterly soul-destroying mate, both for vets and those in active service.

@FuzzyMarineVet OMFG dude! You don't know how much better you just made me feel about this whole fucking situation. Thank you for your service! I feel privileged to know this.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:226922
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.