slug.com slug.com

7 4

When will we stop with the outrage?

I just read "The Coddling of the American Mind" and I feel the need to share some of its insight with this group.
One thing that the book investigated was the partisan reaction to events covered by the media. The chain of events always seems to take the same structure: political team #1 does something outrageous, team #2 covers it and outrages on their media, and #1 sees how outraged the other side is. As a result, the cross-party expectations of both sides is confirmed; Side #2 saw side #1 do something bad and side #1 saw side #2 go overboard with their outrage.
When will we wise up? When will side #2 realize that most people on side #1 are not the kind of people who would do something outrageous? I have a theory of WHY we're becoming more easily outraged (social media allows us to be bombarded with news every hour of how the opposing side is stupid) but when will we grow up and see that we have more in common than we think? The left outraged at Kevin Hart and the right outraged at Brie Larson. Don't assume that the left is any more prone to it than the right is.

It's common knowledge that "black and white thinking," the idea that the other side is all bad (rather than some bad and some good), is not a good idea. When will we start acting like it?

BFrydell 5 Mar 17

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Until we recognize antagonism detrimental to all of us, we will continue to gang up 'us' against 'them'. As MADcHATTER below articulates, tribalism is innate. It is unlikely that we'll all agree on a common enemy anytime soon. Thousands of years of recorded human history clearly demonstrates this.

As a former broadcaster (1978-2002...TV/radio) newsreader) I learned the standard format of a ‘balanced’ view....the way that plays out is you get a rep of the current government to announce their program and then you get an expert to poke holes in it......you don’t get an expert who supports the idea because that would be just giving a platform to the government and it would be sycophantic. Ironically, in an area where the government is consistently from one party, your media outlet is accused of being pro the other side when all you were doing was creating ‘balance...and drama!

We are being programmed; manipulated by our "outrage". It is going to get worse because the public is getting tweaked in this way so often that we are becoming desensitized. Time to go enjoy the outdoors - I hear the birds chirping in the background here - best defense is to turn off the devices for awhile and enjoy the Now. Peace.

Some people (and news outlets) are addicted to outrage and feel the need to vent immediately. They react intuitively instead of taking the time to think slowly about any new information or views that they've just encountered and analyse them closely before reacting.

That is a pretty decent arguement. May i ask that you consider substituting the word instinstive instead of using the word intuitive? Intuitive means accurate or unerring and kinda undermines your point.

Not sure if the use of "intuitive" from the late 15th century (originally used of sight, in the sense "accurate, unerring" ) is still valid in the 21st century (the modern definition is "using or based on what one feels to be true even without conscious reasoning). Also, intuitive and instinctive can be interchangeable depending on the context. I agree that they are tricky words to use, though. Thanks for pointing out.

It won't happen...is a sign of societal decay.
It doesn't correct itself.
. If you want to fix it, you'll need to recreate a long term suffering that unites both sides in an effort to correct the suffering.
. I pose this thought experiment to many and few disagree.
Canada and Canadians are more United
Less aggressive, lower crime, more polite
Because they all suffer with a common thing.
It's fxking freezing COLD 6 months a year.
Absolutely everyone can sympathise with eachother on this immutable fact
It creates cultural unity.
A baseline that not only limits but also advances.
. So let them have their communism
Just make sure their side pays all the dues

I have a theory as to why it is so easy to segment the population like you describe, and it is based around intermural team sport supportership, coin toss outcomes, and emotional outburst addictions.

Good post. I contend the battle is not left against the right per se, but rather collectivism vs individualism.

Agreed. The constant categorization of differing views into left or right is often not very helpful in meaningful discussion. Often, things are more complicated than that!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:23126
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.