slug.com slug.com

10 4

What is the real reason we debate/argue?

In addition to the back and forth on IDW, I have the opportunity, at work, to engage in debate on a daily basis. In the almost two years of these debates I have noticed that it is extremely rare and almost impossible to change anyone’s views or opinions on a given subject. Facts be damned.

The views of people are set by their history and environment. To say the least, these view are difficult to change in debate. People seem only to change their views after a significant and often painful lesson. Most of us do not suffer or experience immediate pain from most issues. (Maybe the frog in hot water)

If this premise is true, why then do we debate/argue if we are not to change minds minus a painful lesson? My personality, according to testing, is an E.N.T.P. Basically it says I like to argue. I even argue with myself if nobody is around. Yet E.N.T.P.s make up a very small percent of population. Do we debate not to change minds but to convince ourselves and re-enforce of our own flawed opinions? Just curious what this gathering of people who like to debate and argue think.

Wtretired 6 Apr 1

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do it to learn, and for that moment it come to a point where something new develop from it.

I personally can't change my mind on the spot without careful consideration (maybe that is one reason why a lot of debates don't seem to go anywhere.) However, after questioning various aspects of that point, I will would either question about things that left me hanging or try to figure out why i am so against it.

Thats when i learn about myself. That help change how i view things a lot.

Most FB political or philosophicals search for and hang in 'echo-chambers' where they feel reinforced by the like-minded. Nothing meaningful to learn there.

All we have is the debate. When faced with at the least a serious social upheaval or at worst a civil war, debate is one method of trying to stave off that disaster. I have children and grandchildren. If I don't at least confront those I feel are dangerous to our peace and well being - what good am I? My goal is to get better at communication so that it does have an effect. I have a long way to go!

I'm an ENTP as well and I'll argue with a sign post, pull it up and argue with the hole, 🙂 There's not just one reason. Sometimes it's to get a different viewpoint on something I don't understand. Other times it's because I want to see if an viewpoint someone expresses that I take issue with has a factual basis. Sometimes I do it just because I like too. 🙂

I think we are supposed to debate ppl in order to get more information. Also to solidify our own opinions or change our minds when new/better information is presented.

I was a leftist Democrat, an atheist for many many years. Now I am not. We debate to change minds. We know both sides, or so one would hope, and believe that our position holds more merit.

Jordan Peterson would say (if I can be so bold) that the act of speaking what you think to be true manifests it into reality.

Beyond that, persuasion happens on a timeline. Your timeline be damned to another’s. You have arrived at your beliefs, not as a result of predestination, but through a process. Your inability to change someone’s mind in a single, or even a few conversations does not mean it’s invaluable. You may never know the impact your words or demeanor may have on someone. It is why Peterson says to be conscious of saying what you have to say in the way most likely to be received by the listener, while saying the truth, or at least never lying.

I was a traditional evangelical Christian conservative. I was this way for 32 years. I “converted” to classical liberal 3 years ago. Did that mean that all prior arguments had no effect on me? Some of them not for 32 years. But eventually the cumulative weight and wisdom was too much to ignore.

However, we are in an age when we cannot afford patience. We cannot afford comity. We cannot afford suffering fools. We are in a time where leftism is rising. Leftism and federalism/democracy cannot coexist. They are existential threats. When at one time you could debate this in a college classroom or dorm, it’s now on the doorstep. We cannot lose. We must win lest millions, maybe hundreds of millions are murdered.

A couple of thoughts:

1. We argue/debate to learn. I'm not really trying to win someone over so they're won over. I'm clarifying and purifying my own thinking. While I can't change someone's mind. I can change my mind and my thinking based on something they've said or something I've said or thought. I think we're all that way. I don't think I have original ideas. I have ideas that are based on things I've heard people say or I've read or I've experienced all of my life. I'm am a unique blend of all of the people I've encountered. Not unique because I'm special. The way you've pieced together your beliefs from what you've read/heard/experienced is unique too. That's the unique part--the way you've mapped everything you've taken in. Man, that's priceless. To me, you all are priceless because you have all of this stuff that's unique to you--ways of seeing or thinking that are different from how I did it. Okay, I'm a dork. I admit it, but it's really exciting to me. You're all blood bags of knowledge and experience, and I'm a thirsty vampire---haha, cementing my dorkiness. Please, nobody say suck me.

2. We want connection with others, but we're all so inept, clueless at how to go about connecting to others. We seek to connect through agreement, which is tragic. The connection is in sharing ideas--sharing time--sharing space. It's NOT in agreement. Ask yourself why you feel so emotional when you find someone that seems to really get you (agrees with you). It seems like more emotion than is justified for idea-data. It's a kind of connection--it's special.

We are bizarre creatures.

That resonates, especially the part about how the exchange is clarifying my own thinking. I once complained to a mentor about how people go on and on. He was patient with those people. He said they weren’t long-winded, but rather were auditioning for a role in their own life.

I like to challenge my own ideas. I have been moved on some matters and have been more solidified on others. It can be a good way to understand people you may not agree with as well. All of the above is predicated on honest, open, respectful debate and discussion. I have no time for any other kind of conversations.

I think we debate and argue is yes to change minds but really to find the truth or at least a truth we can agree on .

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26568
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.