slug.com slug.com

9 0

Senate and congress

Who else thinks only people that have served in the Military should be allowed to run for public office?

Dutch 6 Apr 13

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Been searching for a article I read some years back on this subject, in my Facebook feed today for that matter. I am a antagonist and hate the idea of the moral superiority of many former military personnel, but have much respect.

Not me. Unconstitutional. Nothing safe in that idea.

No.
It perhaps might be an item worth “weighing” during a candidacy BUT ...
Example: John Kerry “served” in the Military and I STILL consider him to be a traitorous moron ...

@dutch What do you think would be the benefits of that system?

Can you foresee any negatives?

the benefits would be disapline and love of country, after reading the comments I now see all kinds of negatives that I had not thought of.... AOC is the reason I thought it might be a good idea.

@Dutch said "the benefits would be discipline and love of country"

Now that's a thought provoker. My first thought is: I doubt that everybody who has ever served in the military is disciplined, or even loves their country.... but I will concede that people with prior military service are probably generally more disciplined, and patriotic, than those who have never served.

Have you seen any of Dan Crenshaw's videos? He is rapidly becoming one of my favorite politicians for his common sense, no nonsense approach to politics.

When I read your post, it reminded me of Starship Troopers (great book; terrible movie).

P.S. - that idea would require a total overhaul of military service, and I think ultimately the negatives would outweigh the positives .... but I'm glad we're all trying to come up with productive solutions! Cheers

I've met my share of Army officers so I'll pass on this idea.

Absolutely not. That would almost certainly lead political parties to try to brainwash people in the military to get the troops to adopt certain political philosophies. Imagine boot camp but they shove leftist ideology down your throat.

Writer Robert Heinlein, in his novel Starship Troopers, portrayed a society where citizenship was only granted to those who volunteered for two years of military service. This included universal acceptance, regardless of sex or physical condition.

Might not be the best idea we can come up with but it beats the hell out of what we have going now.

Actually Heinlein brought forward A LOT of great ideas ... particularly in the area of Government ... under the guise of “Science Fiction”.
Starship Trooper and Stranger in a Strange Land are but two examples ...

If we instate compulsory service, then yes.

Not sure about that. Might create hawkishness. We probably need some hippies. It's out of balance for sure.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:30523
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.