slug.com slug.com

1 2

Let's talk about 'increasing the size of the Supreme Court':

Why? Give me a good reason for doing so. The last time it was really suggested was back in the 1930's - FDR threatened to do so and his "reason" was to help lessen the load on the existing Justices because of all the cases coming towards them because of the Legislation that was SERIOUSLY eroding the Constitution. One of the first things that passed after his threat was Social Security. The Chief Justice, rightly, considered the threat dangerous to the independence of the Court and it's ability to function.

So. If you think it is ok to add more Justices: how many and why?

tracycoyle 8 Oct 1

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't have a problem with adding more justices in theory, but I do have a problem with using the Court to further political and social agendas that a party can't get done via the legislature and the presidency. So, if either party manages to get control of the other two branches of the government and then increases the number of judges just so that they can try to get ones who will do their bidding because they know that they can't get certain laws passed if they were to try, then I have a serious issue with that. Such actions knowingly and willfully corrupt the Courts. So, in these particular circumstances, I would be against increasing the number of judges, by either party. And, in fact, this is why FDR's own party was right to stop him from doing so when he tried it, but, then, that was when there were more Democrats who appreciated fully the principles upon which our government was founded.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:136937
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.