slug.com slug.com

27 8

How important is Christianity to the future of the Western world?

Thomas Jefferson, a deist who did not believe in a supernatural Jesus, nonetheless had great respect for his teachings. In his spare time, he would cut out the things in the bible that were said to be spoken by Jesus but didn't contain anything supernatural. He called it "The Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth" or what's now called the "Jeffersonian Bible". Jefferson saw value in the teaching and wrote, "A more beautiful or precious morsel of ethics I have never seen; it is a document in proof that I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus."

As many Western countries have seen dramatic drop in Christian religiosity, some have lamented that society suffers by having fewer people striving to emulate the "goodness of Jesus".

On a personal note, I spent part of the 2020 lockdown reading the entire New Testament for the first time since growing up in a Christian family. While I may still consider myself an agnostic, I was moved by how Jesus called upon us to be the best versions of ourselves. Happy Holidays to all - and an especially Merry Christmas to Christians everywhere.

What is Christianity to the future of the West?

• 72 votes
  • 22 votes
  • 10 votes
  • 7 votes
  • 8 votes
Admin 8 Dec 24

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

27 comments (26 - 27)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you only could read three New Testament books, read the Gospel of John, the Gospel of Mathew and Book of Hebrews.

Pauls letter to the Romans gives a introductory overview of Christianity to the Romans. And the short letter 1 John presents the essence of Jesus teaching.

The book of John was really deep - got into the mind of Jesus more than the other books. Pauls letters reminded me about the challenges of starting a franchise organization where every franchisee wants to tweak the business model... Paul didn't like that.

I can understand that, John is deep, he was very close to Jesus, and probably the last of the apostles to die, he fills in what Mathew missed.

John : - My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. You are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. This is my command: Love each other.

"PRAYER OF GLORIFICATION" - Jesus Prays, that humanity may be one as he is one with God.
[biblehub.com]

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:165222
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.