slug.com slug.com

51 2

Do you believe people are naturally good, or evil? Why?

• 7 votes
  • 17 votes
  • 36 votes
  • 26 votes
Marcus_Aurelius 7 Feb 21

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

51 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Most folks are born blank slate - and are both programmed and program themselves to be one or the other.

I will say that occasionally (rarely) I have seen someone of pure evil. And I've also met someone pure good.

The pure evil, I really think were invaded and crushed by some demonic influence. Once you experience it, if you are sensitive, you will never ever forget it. Not common, but they are out there if you know where/how to look.

I also have met those who are fighting their internal demons. Some win, some do not. They are not necessarily good or evil. They just are.

I know someone fairly well who killed some folks when he was a teenager. He was doing drugs (and was abused, and bullied) and finally had enough, so he shot the school up where he went. At the time, the longest they could hold him was until either age 21 or until declared mentally unfit, they could hold him longer - after the drugs got cleaned out of his system, he was stable. So they had to let him go - and he was the reason that law got changed.

Years later, he still struggled with the knowledge of what he'd done, but he also knew he could easily do it again.

Does this excuse him for his action? No. I was bullied when I was a kid, too. I didn't turn to that kind of violence and drugs to settle things. Most people don't. But he did. And he paid, and he wanted to die. He even tried to "suicide by cop" after his manipulative ex- tried to frame him, knowing the cops would come at him guns blazing, and he let her beat him down to the point he was ready to end it. Fortunately, a cop who knew him rolled up first and talked instead of blasting away.

Last I heard, they finally locked him up in a mental institution and got him some more help.

No. But hey, hi there, now you've met a being of pure evil now. Don't give me that shit.

Wow, so far we are tied between Both and Neither, and it's reflected in the comments. I guess we have a lot of nuanced thinkers here.

lol it is mildly depressing that there isn't a single vote for "good" thus far

@LastLiberal I think the amount of pessimism here is making me more optimistic.

@LastLiberal Possibly because everyone is trying be honest instead of going with what we would hope would be true?

And, there it is, who is this, I don't even fucking know, but it's, Pythagoras for the win, haha, haahaahahhaahhaaaa, yes.

I say we are naturally good in our own surroundings as viewed by our own culture. This may not be the case if viewed by another culture.

Would you then consider yourself a cultural relativist? do you think it is possible to rank order more moral cultures and less moral cultures, by a set of moral characteristics? If so would it not be the case that there is a universally higher standard of morality? Correct me if I'm wrong, but it also seems as if you are defining good as the ability to conform to one's cultural norms, and I would say this would be bad depending on the culture.

@Marcus_Aurelius Alright, that actually makes me think that you know what you're talking about now. Dude, I've been arguing this for years basically, stupid people I mean they just don't get it. I'll just end with that.

Good and Evil are both subjective descriptors for the most part. So really the answer is all of the above depending on how you define good and evil. So much nuance required it's really an unanswerable question when phrased like that. For example: most would agree murder is evil. Are there circumstances where killing someone unlawfully (as it is defined) is morally right or necessary? If you could've dropped a bomb on Hitler while he was at an
elementary school would it have been morally prudent to do so? If a sociopath does a kindness to another only because he himself will benefit from it, is it still considered a kindness? The answer to this question has a grey area big enough for a galaxy to float through

I assume you have a functional use for the terms good and evil, which is probably mostly agreed upon by most people. That's why you yourself chose to use a thought experiment question that included Hitler. Would it be morally acceptable to drop a bomb on the child version of an agreed upon reprehensible historical figure? Many of your questions have moral vigor, and you seem to be able to identify "kindness to another" as good, and selfish sociopath as bad, suggesting that there is less subjectivity in your thinking than you think. The question is quite open ended, most people here have so far been able to articulate their thoughts on the matter in a way that is comprehensible, and quite to the point, surely you can reduce your galactic levels of nuance to a refined answer.

@Marcus_Aurelius I believe "goodness," as your namesake would stoically define it, is a luxury. I believe children are born selfish, for obvious evolutionary reasons. I think goodness is an invention of society. Arguably the greatest achievement of humanity is realizing that we all gain when we are good to eachother. I don't think civilization would exist without this realization. Now does children being selfish mean I think they are "naturally evil?" No, I think they are naturally concerned with there own well being first, as a baseline for survival. I think the more you struggle for survival the less goodness matters, at least how western civilization would define it. I define good an evil based on how I feel about a certain act or idea for example. I think people can do evil shit with good intentions and vice versa. So to refine my answer to your question, I think humans are naturally human. Genetics, circumstance and environment all play a role. Some argue that these factors play such a defining role as to render free will a myth. So if factors beyond your control compel you to commit an evil act are you yourself evil? My personal view is that this question isn't all that important beyond exploring it as a tool to reflect on oneself as an individual.

@LastLiberal I would have to say that I agree with quite a lot of what you're saying, I would delineate doing good from being good, and doing evil from being evil. I think that it is a luxury to be good that many can't afford, but it doesn't mean one doesn't have the capacity to do good things. On the side of evil, I think we are impulsively designed to do more evil than good, but to be evil would be the conscious choice. Therefore impulsive, consequential, or even accidental evil really seems to me to be a greater indicator of ignorance, to be evil has to be a conscious decision. I would agree with you again when you say genetics, circumstance and environment play a role, I put more emphasis on people's own personal ability to make a moral choice.

@LastLiberal Oh, so I actually wasn't just going to reply to that other guy just now, but you, so you, that, would happen to think, oh so you think that humanity itself wouldn't, I mean like you said couldn't, exist even without the made concept of the idea that is the idea of goodness in civilization, I'm going to, have to disagree with you on that, no, no it was not that idea, there had to have been a way far better more simpler explanation for which is why this very idea could ever exist in our society right now, I know it, I'll tell you what it is, so, you think our society couldn't exist without goodness, ehh, so what if maybe there's something real not made up by humans as a defense mechanism to helping each other getting along with each other, what then, a fiery ball of death is falling out of the sky right now, right now, oh you could be good, sincerely right now oh you could be a good person too, but you wanna, you wanna know what you're not going to be thinkin about, this, who's outside when that ball of fire drops that's what. Now ask me now if you think that I think you're right about that, do it right now?

@LastLiberal, @Marcus_Aurelius Hey, and you though, I could little listen to you going on about how it's a choice to really be evil, and I do know what you mean I get it, but any more of that, that was just getting obscene. I have the capacity to accept, nor to whether, be agreeing with you only up until some point, I actually know what point that is, no, being actually really evil, don't you even tell me right now that, that's a choice, that's like to me if you to be, you to be, saying this, does the Catinthehat like green eggs and ham, so like, what, were, what you are trying to say just is, if you put green eggs in a hat with ham, that, it's green eggs and ham right, so what, then, then will the Catinthehat like green eggs and ham, in a hat, in a hat too, is, that what you're saying right now? No, I can accept that I limitlessly could maybe have the capacity to limitlessly be agreeing with you, about this, but, you have got to realize right now that there is at some point now, you've got to be the one to agree or change your thinking to be agreeable to with the idea that real evil right now, it does, not have to be a real choice right now, alright. Don't you, be acting like you'd know. You know how, you'd be been barely rarely ever being able to, hear, in all of this time, right here, that you've ever not heard ever someone not being like how you were saying a nuance, well, you can say, you could only say that, because, you know and now, that's what you know now too, like about, what, goodness that other people would be talking about, yeah that would be that, so now, well, but well, see, that's the thing, you only could be the one to say that, because you know now because of this fact now, that you're able to say that, do you think that you could say the same thing about evil that you could and would be to a person a real person being actually evil while they and it is them choosing to have been chose to be evil, I'm not talking, like, they because they choose to be or not, I mean, while, they were to have chose to, being, to be, evil, do you think that you'd either be capable of calling those people now, a nuance, or having the choice to be evil, and would you know it then?

What if, that were you then, then would you think that you'd be to know it too, then? Do you know, how monsters are created in this, world? Because, stupid, people, are always getting tricked into believing they are people, people that have been made to believe that, that like everyone else has been telling them now, right now even, that that's the real thing isn't it, isn't it, you aren't truly evil, because you have, to be the one to make that choice now, that's how. Ask me about my opinion of monsters existing though too. If you want real truthful answers, you don't just come to ask questions, but, you should like to do is just light that match and what you like asking this to me for, you take that match and you then do, catch some fucking shit on fire, and you know what, you'll know who will be coming to your aid then, when you find out realizing then, who's, not running out of that house if not for tripping over your cheating wife, that's what you do. Seriously?

@Marcus_Aurelius, @LastLiberal So, I have a question for you also, Tell me, alright, is this suppose to happen, is this really meant to be right, What f, it was the thought, because, the thought, the thought, you had been thinking it growing up and because you thought it too, but, what if actually the real reason that you yourself never, could, have ever, been, the one to realize this because that is what the thought that you had that was the thought that you thought yourself growing up, was the reason that yourself, yourself, it's this but is why that you know now, this could have never been you, yourself, to have ever realized your thought of you was you are evil, sorry, I meant to say that yeah that's right, not good, now, because, it was you that you had always grown up having this thought and that's why it's you now and it that is that is you cannot realize it yourself, yourself, now, because just like that, you never could have been the one yourself, because you never did realize this yourself, until, you grew growing and grown up believing now that this was actually really your thought all along, that you don't even know if you are evil having the thought, that thought, you are evil and now you're wondering it about it now because you could have never been the one to be able to known knew it now?

Is that bad? Would you, happen, to think that, that person is, are really evil, what am I saying, doiy, yeah, could you be able to think then that, that person could have been able to be capable of having been able to, really, be truly really, evil, then, that you are able to think so? Yeah that's about right. I mean, no yeah I mean that's well a stupid really dumb, silly, question to even ask isn't it, it's just, looks at the forth wall turning head, no reason, oh I'm sorry, yeah too well I mean at least, no good reason.............. Alright, and exit.

It wouldn't matter if people were good or evil, that makes me think that people are or aren't evil, I do think that people are evil, it doesn't matter that people be evil that matters, people can still be evil whether people thought people or themselves were thinking about other people, it is people can only be good or evil, what people about that matters what people think, I know real evil, it is real, it's it do be real, it does exist, that's why, I do be, I do think that people are evil, there cannot be any question that anyone that people could know the right answer to this reasonable question, no one could know just if it was people are being evil, the being of evil still exists even to us people in the presence of the essence of evil, if it could be correctly as a matter of fact truly could be that people would be able to know for real if it could be that even in the eyes of a truly benevolent being that could evil correctly stated if people be it or people themselves be whether evil, then that's true, that's right, evil does exist even without any or none of the people saying they know so even, and, because and it's because, therefore it is, it's, people are evil I say I would think so too, whether they be being evil doesn't matter to me, if this question was is, is or was, to know only just if people were evil whether they be, then yes that's the real right answer, people do be evil, none of those that are them people that would know just if whether that's true couldn't possibly be able to know themselves if correctly that if whether they people themselves be evil, so I can say yes that's right the answer is people are evil the right answer is that it's people are evil actually really even if really actually even if they do be, are being evil, are evil, or not, if it's at all that even a true benevolent being could simply just know or see that evil does exist, the fact remains, evil does exist, why do you think this is so, that's what not even eventually will people ever be able to, have the capacity or the capability apparently, obviously, clearly too by the way even, to ever be people, people that, know could ever be those people that if could be that so evil ever be them who's saying so, if, could it be people whether being evil, that's the thing about the being of evil existing, and why I be saying it too, you have to be a truly benevolent being if could it if be that you're able could it be that seen evil exists, does do, exist, to that even a truly benevolent good being even, that, people just can't know in that being asked such a reasonable question, mattering not whether it be it's people know they can know this themselves about people, they can't grasp the concept, if, could it be, like I'm saying people one of those people too, that evil does exist and it's because which what people don't think, it's because people are being evil, they are evil, it shouldn't matter even just to know this right answer too and that if it could be too just it could people themselves having t ask this question and knowing the right answer also themselves, I'll tell you why, because, that's why, people they it could be they are being, being, evil, even if, it wasn't that it could have just been being that people, know, exactly, that people themselves know that people are or aren't, evil does, it does be, because and people are evil too whether anyone thought it, does it do be, it does, it does be, evil does exist, that, is why that I having to tell you just what the right I think answer is to you right now, I would be saying that, that it's, people are actually really it's that it's really actually evil are people, what people happen, be it happening to see it themselves or know it being people, to think about that is irrelevant, it's like the exact definition of the truth in actuality, you never, you don't ever be, the one thinking that, it's the real truth whether it is, the truth does exist, and so it's just that for that matter, so, so does exist evil to people whether it be that people could ever know it being people, and that is the real truth, if that is actually really or, that is, really actually what you're question asked is meant to be that you're asking for you to want to know.

I do think that people be are evil, yeah, well anyways, I had to say all of that though, uhh, don't think it that this is me too though having also said this that this is the real answer, or my reasoning for the reason very for what is why that I would be, thinking this, it's not like that, well, I just thought regardless even, if it could, if it could be that just anyone could be ones those who would be able to know the right answer being the right answer, then, this is what I would have said been saying to them people too, that's just why that I would think so, that's not actually exactly precisely why that I would be saying this that I mean that this right now that I could be saying to you, so like that, just like that too, I do also have optional many other reasons for why which what I've said I would have to say this. This is me trying to answer your question. So compare now this it to my alone also not trying to answer your question just if you known this or not.

I'm not sure even why that people even have to be people to ask this question about people themselves. Yeah, that's it. All that if you could imagine people are being evil, people are, now, this is what I would have said, you can, that's what I said like I was saying, that, if you could imagine that even to a truly benevolent being could they actually just able to be able to which what could be able to see just if evil did do be does exist, then, what makes you think that, I hate using the notion that only a God or that a good benevolent being would be being able to know this for real like people could possibly think let alone so if that it could it be it's that so could it could be it, that if a true benevolent good being, being that to really exist, if it could too be that it is people would, would people be able to think so and know so themselves, that it's true evil does truly exist, this is why here's the real answer that I could be saying, I mean, if evil still exists even to a true real to people benevolent being that really is able to know this whether anyone or none those it that could be would ever know, this is what I mean, you would think that evil doesn't exist to those to know that it would like people, let alone it be people that it be who are capable imagining that to people that they do know just if could be it be evil that does actually exist even to people themselves too, you don't, you can't so either, because you don't know, that's the problem, I have to say it this now, if this is your the question of your wanting to know for yourself, if, like I'm saying like people would imagine me I having to be saying, if, you don't know the right answer to this question just if it could be are people good or evil, then, if you had to ask, like if it could be, that you if you asked could it be true, you don't know yourself either, so just it's that it's just, if, you could be have to ask this, is it could you be wondering or wanting to say yourself just is, is it that you know people are is who would know even too even if it could be that just to people that are people not just to those people that are those that I could also say would be able to know, that it would be it people that, would be able, to know that it does or doesn't themselves whether either they do did know themselves being people, if you can't, could not be, the one to say you know it, then, here's why I say so, because, if people don't know this that themselves, then could it be, could it be that it could, be, that people been having to been people to really know themselves whether it just is, to people, that could would even know this being people too, that is even to people even if they know this or not whether they are being good or evil, they would be those to you who would be able to say they know so like that to people that it be could be it people are being evil being people too, I'm saying this, people can think they know whatever, you don't even have to believe that you think this is right what I'm saying, for it to actually be true, whether if people are what which are is good or evil, none of this matters right now at all, if it's could it be, that is, could it be, that people had, having to, be people to ask then, to people, that could it be it's that people are evil who would be knowing it being like people who would know, you're going to ask them, people, just if it could be that people would know just if it is people would are be being really evil whether they are themselves, then I have to say so, it's people, I'll say it again, it's people that are evil but it's people that just don't even know it at all. Yeah, now that's what I was thinking of saying thinking I can too, also, to you in this my response to this question I'm asked being asked. Also, I said this better the first time I said this, I have been on a tablet and when I was typing, right after, before, I just started commenting to you it happened before already before now again, I couldn't just undo deleting my text using my tablet keyboard when I used a not google keyboard at the time of this, I started using it and then this google keyboard fucked me sideways again and refreshed the page, yeah, it does get complicated when a person has to repeat the same thing over to other people, I mean fucking bitch, I was already telling my reply to what could have been a person that was a person one who didn't know the right, right answer, and then I had to just repeat the whole entire God damn, I'm sorry, fucking thing all over again, I kicked that bitch's ass is what I did that's what, because, now I'm using Chrome remote access with my pc and using my real own keyboard. Alright, now I don't feel like killing myself anymore now, so, you're welcome for that.

I have children - I don't need to teach them to be bad.

Dennis Prager, at a Hillsdale speech observed that it is mostly people living in a Western Democracy that are delusional enough to think people are inherently good.

I think humans all have the capacity for both to some degree or another, depending on a mix of internal and external influences.
But also we are neither because good and evil are both subjective ideas.

Humans like most (all animals?) are survivalists at their core. An innate attribute that societies have allowed to remain dormant. But one that can quite easily come to the fore if/when one perceives their survival is under threat.

I believe that it is our social environment that shapes a persons social behaviour scale to act justly or not and more or less. If you watch 2 year olds that start to develop self, you will see harsh interactions between the children and it is the guidance from the society environment that teaches the acceptable conduct. As these experiences effect the individual in a healthy or not healthy and helpful environment, the person will develope and act more good or more bad. And one final factor will be mental illness in the person or present in the environment of the child.

If good means behaviors that are beneficial to the long term stability and survival of their social groups, then I have to say yes. I refer you to the enemsly complex social structures in which we live that stand for centuries. I drove to work today and pass dozens of people who could have ended my life with a flick of their steering wheel. But we all trust the other drivers not to do malicious harm to us and that trust is reciprocated.

Good or evil depends on one's perspective at the moment. What is good to one person may seem evil to another.

I was won't to waste more than a few words on this, waxing philosophical as it were. Then again, I think in essence many matters of philosophy are simplified... as the Owl counts the licks to the center of the tootsie pop... Three.

So I tend to believe we are born Neither. And good and evil are learned experiences. But I also think our nascent state is more or less irrelevant.

We are given but a remnant of dominion, in this and only this... our Free Will may not be absolute but we are given the ability to Choose. According to his own lights, within the confines of his own mind, no man is irredeemable nor yet incorruptible.

Despite a plethora of ethical philosophies most people employ Intuitionism... meaning that inside each of us is something that knows the difference between right and wrong.
But our free will is such, that even recognizing the difference we are able to choose either.

Even after a lifetime of similar choices, we can choose something different.
Free Will is the ability to cast yourself in your own image.
The choice to alter or not is oft constrained, by animal instinct or social constructs. So Free Will might seem in some wise not entirely free, but despite the cost, even at the last moment we can choose who we are.

Damn, I wound up throwing a load of words at this anyway. Should have just bitten to the center of the tootsie-pop.

Damn, I like your precise comment. Actually, the first sentence I mean I'm quiet learned, I seen the analogy at the end, my eyes squinted and I just felt like saying oh shut up, but hey then by the time I read this I tend to not believe and all that, that sentence I was ready about to be giving up this read, I was, then I read that I think our nascent state is more or less irrelevant, well that did it for me I think I'm good and I know where that's going now, I usually would only point it out just if a person is or isn't actually responding to another person with a real reply their own reply, sometimes people aren't right and I still say that's a response, sometimes people are wrong and would then usually only reply if they I know I can either point out them being wrong or point to another reason that I must be asking but and to wonder then if that's really their answer or what they think that they just think, those people still don't answer the damn question God damn it, then there are, sometimes people I just have to say or keep on scrolling to me seeing they're not even replying let alone responding to what another person is even literally asking, like they pretend that's them really their real answer too, not a single person I usually ever see all of them have a single even intelligent well thought out idea among and between them between all of them, that's just what I've seen, I wasn't going to reply commenting on your comment, it's not that I'm thinking to either, like I was saying I usually would only point it out, if it can just at least be that I have to agree with about what another person says, especially in response to someone else, then well you're looking at what I happen to do be doing next now.

I mean, I know where it was going, I wasn't going to agree or usually would be replying to that, I know how it be though, if it ends and someone disagrees, then they well be disagreeing, if they agree, then they well agree because they agree, and it's not like I even have to say it out load usually not anyone will ever just agree with someone just because they reach the end of what someone does happen to point out, good job though, yeah and I didn't like the ending that which is that right there either, but, here I am commenting a reply so, uhh, what woah, I should shake the sound decibels out of my ear right now, did you, sorry hold on let me stop myself and back up here, for example of just something I'm thinking about pointing out and has nothing to do with you at this moment, I'm left handed and INTJ personality, my left hand dominant creative mindset side says that, for me it's like this hearing philosophical jargon whether real or fake jargon to me, it's unimaginable to you, to me it's like, it's like to me like you know how Beethoven was depth and could play music like so literally so unlike no one that anyone could have ever imagined a depth person or what about a skilled magician too, well he was left handed too, that's why he was could have been so good at it, it doesn't like even it takes a whole lot of imagination just to imagine it you know, so what if you know how he was just kind of so that good at piano right, then if that's what you'd call a skilled music player, a Beethoven, then it's like in like that philosophy the philosophical real nonunderstandable yet imaginable philosophical jargon for them to those that can't just hear it too to me, it's like to me, what if you switched the real Beethoven's playable piano with like say which could have been like a, that thing, alright an imagined recorder, the basic you know flutes, and then having to ask someone else hey does this do you think this sounds good to you, do you think if Beethoven could maybe I don't know possibly hear, then, then maybe he would have capably agreed if was if it was or not, like just, if I was he I was him Beethoven like that being asked so but someone else, I'd likely probably wrap a rope around the recorder throw it over a support beam and hang myself while eating the stuffed sheet music down my throat just so fuck that guy that has to ask me that that's why, or whatever that you're likely to have imagined, this is just like to me, to me, it's nothing it's just like a philosophical stream of metaphorical jet stream flowing in the ripples of the ocean that is the flowing movants of the ripples in the ocean to me, I could float or I can sink, who cares if that's acceptably imaginable by anyone else, float, sink, if, I don't have anything to plug the hole on the bottom of my boat, then it really won't even be mattering to anyone else that I could be asking, because that'll be me then on the bottom of the ocean wondering like oh I just think why that is it just looks like I'm looking at a jet stream up there, wouldn't you like to know, hell no, I won't yeah I won't put be putting you me be the one to put through some what a something like that just to look at you with my head tilted and ask you then you think so is that all you think, I'm left handed and I can easily imagine understanding this, whether having to do with any of that just that is kind of could it be INTJ being what plays a part in that, that I do not know and or cannot be one to have told you or not, I'm just that so left handed that you don't even have to be the one to think it does because I am left handed and I can be capable of imagining it too, I just had to let you know that, right now, if you wondered if I'm a person able to if maybe imagine maybe that I could possibly agree be agreeing with you just could have been if I knew I could did imagine that I could do be able to, then yes, yes, yes I can imagine that too, really nothing, none but nothing of this right now has anything to do with whatsoever about being left handed or you and your comment right now too, too, but hold on, smart people do exist and I'm sure that I don't just have to be one of those that simply just can imagine that they be either too, though, not that I was the one wondering but, that's the thing if you could imagine it right now though, that's why I don't think that I have to be the one right now to tell have, having, to tell you that right now that they do, because they do exist and not even just is something that I can imagine myself right now or not whether that or not, I'm a smart person, just the fact of me being INTJ alone, that right there, I don't care how much imagination that one just should posses, that being an INTJ, being an INTJ personality, that blows any submarine right out of the waters entirely, actually yeah completely, you're basically like one of the most smartest people of all of the world that's so smart that not even good IQ tests made by real intelligent people could even come close to accurately reading your real IQ, then you should already know that left handed people, it's not like being smart either, you can be left handed, and, not have to be smart, just to be left handed, to be able to be left handed that you were are, but also like that, you don't need even any imagination to imagine if you being left handed being, left handed, that it just simply could make you smart like a smart person that is smart, you know why, because left handed people that's it is it, you don't have to have imagination to imagine that a real left handed person being left handed has to be smart to be smart and, to be, in order to be, left handed too, just the fact that smart people alone being left handed people that you can't just simply imagine being a smart person whether you knew it or not, it lays that whole entire concept to rest right there, clearly, there is such a real, very real excuse me, thing that is the connection between being left handed and being a real smart, "smart," person, too, yeah, that's what I meant, and you just can imagine too, that, the thing is you don't have even to be having to be a real smart person, just to imagine it, are you following me so far here just to here so far, the

reason that none of this matters about anything right now, isn't just that it doesn't if that's so simply true what you can imagine, the reason none of this matters is really simply just that because it's just that you would, you, happen, to happen to imagine that you'd be the one to believe then that if or if I could just imagine it, then myself I would then, then, be able to say this matters because I agree with what you're saying right now, I'll just put this into basically such terms that to you then you should be able to understand, comprehend, alright here, it's not that I agree that I imagine that I do with you that I can say that's why that I would really agree and you be the one that I be agreeing with right now just if you could happen to be the one to imagine it that right now, I have the capacity, or sorry, the capability, yeah, to understand and to comprehend, I could be anyone to which what is someone that accepts and acknowledges why that is that I could be agreeing with what you're all saying about, but, do you happen to think that I'd have to be the one to have to had imagined that I must be able just in order could to, to be able to, to be agreeing with you too, then I, would have to telling be tell to you then me no I am not, I am not like that right now, but I don't still agree with anything that I could be imagining that you're even trying to say right now either though too, if that you must know in order to for you truly to know truly yourself for sure right now that I do, I don't, this is why it happened, I had to stop myself just now too, like this, none of this matters right now, because too, if you must know the real philosophical answers that are the unimagined truth right now, then, then you can't just, like that, you can't just, like right now, just, be stating some answer like you really know what you're happening to be think, talking about right now, and then, then you're going to turn back around to then do this, that, you say, you said,

"no man is so irredeemable nor no man is incorruptible,"

Alright so yeah, I'm gonna have to stop you now right there just too, I know how this is meant to goe right now, if this, I mean that, was really your real response that you don't know someone else does when you're being asked so, then it's just that, why do you have to make it just sound so much that so much just like that's so only what you're able to say right now though, what did you even just say, God, this always happens when I hear others talk saying things, if that was you're real, what you just did right now, I don't know use your imagination if you think I'm about to be telling you what I'm thinking right now, then I know what a person like you would have done, you would have just simply ever so elegantly fuck yeah like but a God damn butterfly like just left it at that and then gone onto your way, don't you ever try to say when asked this question that you really do so ever possibly know the real answer to this like you did, because anything that you've said after that point, if you think just anyone, I mean, about anyone would just could have agreed with you had they heard that right now, then, if you think because you think people do, then seriously for real you think or imagine this I don't care if just you will right now, I, am telling you, you, can clearly absolutely count me out of that precisely put conclusion that you have there right there sir, don't think that I'm just going to ever, agree with you just because you just believe you think that I will understand and comprehend you and also more or less agree be agreeing with you just for your information, when someone asks you a question you answer, you don't stick around sitting there beating a likeness out of a dead horse, and you should, certainly, then not capably come back and right at now, now, after some villagers have chased you off, to continuedly try to proceed to setting and be to burn that dead horse too just that so that it is on fire now.

I fucking love, "love," philosophy, it's the only freaken God forbid thing in this that I have in this entire whole world right now that just I, can be, able to talk to about to other people then, and then, they not just be all like oh you're well so unimaginably so nonunderstandable that you must be a real freak, but when I know a person is out there right now that they'd actually, just, that easily so, act seriously like they would be able to know them, do you, would you happen to know this then, if I had to ask, no man is so irredeemable nor no man is incorruptible either too, you think do you really, imagine, right now, that like I would have liked to have had listened to you giving me your response right now just so I can be to tell you that I agree or I disagree sir, no, of course not actually, so do you think that what you had said was a right acceptable or non acceptable answer?

What the fuck was that, it's like watching and having the feeling of having to see the Devil's nanobots, mosquitoes, trying to bite to get at what's on the inside of the Devil's body, it's like huuuhh, haha, what a funny, smash, oh look what no, I happened to have just simply smashed it into a little devastatingly evil disformed goop of yeah oh whatever the hell it was that I just smashed right now. Alright, so you think that no man is irredeemable or incorruptible right, so, so you won't be mad then when I leave this conversation right now right, wouldn't you I mean? I'll just, alright yeah. You think now, inside all of us, there is something inherent that can tell the difference between good and evil. Now watch me, watch me right now, as a walk away from this conversation and totally like unbelievably amazingly so, not even giving a fucking shit right now. Oh I know what you meant, poop, poop was at the center of that tootsie-pop, that why the little kid had to ask how many licks does it take mister owl, and then the owl eats it, well, what the shit?

Nor good or evil, we are all microbes, consumer's of consumer's of consumer's

Of course much depends on your definition of good and evil.

Is it good to take care of your lifestock? Of course it is.
So if your horse has a serious injury and is in great pain is it good to kill the horse to end it's suffering? Also, not much doubt, this is good.
So if your brother is dieing of cancer and is in great pain and wants to check out, is it good to help him? Not so easy now...
OK, there's this one person in your group who is always causing trouble, fomenting unrest, he's people arguing all the time. Is removing that person from the group good or evil?

Man has the potential for great compassion and unspeakable evil. Welcome to the world.

I believe most people are good and strive to remain that way.

From a Christian perspective, we are all evil in that we are all sinners. None of us, no matter how morally good or sacrificial, is good apart from God. The only difference I see between a Christian and a non-Christian is that the Christian is aware of their sin and dependent on God, whereas the non-Christian may not be aware of their sin or is indifferent to it. There are some non-Christians who are, at least outwardly, better people than Christians. I don't think evil and good really has to do with our capacity for evil, so much as our choices. We all have a capacity for evil in varying degrees, but we don't all act on it. Sometimes, someone who is very good or heroic has an even greater capacity for evil than another who is already evil or indulges their impulses. The reason for this is that the higher you climb, the longer the fall. But thankfully, in the Christian faith, our salvation isn't dependent on ourselves, but on Christ. This is not to say that people should continue in sin. If someone is truly saved, I believe that person's affections will be changed and he/she will want to do good to honor God out of love. This kind of goodness, the goodness given in and through God, is the only true goodness I know -- the only goodness worth having. The church isn't for righteous or morally good people, but for people in desperate need of a Saviour.

I think our basic instincts for survival have gotten warped by our inability express them appropriately in modern society, leading all manner of insanity. Neither good nor evil, just often confused, misdirected, and neurotic.

Even though we are not born criminals there comes a time when we are faced with the choice to be such. We are free moral agents. I believe there are unseen forces that continually influence us.

Some are born bad. Some learn to be evil from life experiences. For the majority is us, we are born innocent and are formed by our siblings, parents, friends and enemies and all other roll models in our lives.

Why.both? Just look at us.

I wish someone would convince me that good will triumph over evil.

Jordan Peterson almost has.

Perpetuation of the race. Evil is not self-sustaining.

Oh, so you'd like to think so, wouldn't you?

Inherently self serving. We only learn to be selfless as we mature, but it’s counter to our nature. If goodness came naturally, we wouldn’t have to learn to be good, but we do.

Selfish should have been an option.

It is empirically self evident that mankind is inherently evil. A man's good actions never outweigh his bad actions or thoughts or inactions.
Preventing evil takes more work than does giving in to it. We are naturally weak and fail more often than we succeed.

I will have to think about your analysis. My first reaction is that it doesn't seem correct.

Too negative. Doesn't account for all of the improvements humanity has come up with.

@LarrySpinks There is a difference between material improvements which undeniably have made our lives better and real improvements in human nature.
Even our material improvements are not free of being subjected to the harsh reality of humanities unchanging nature. The Internet has been a huge improvement in communication of knowledge, business and economic efficiency but it has also served human trafficking, crime, catfishing etc.

I think you would have to first define your terms. Good can mean very many things to very many people as can the word evil. Assuming the generally excepted definitions of these words, I would say each of us has the ability to do both although there do appear to be a few people in history who were born to do evil. I’m sure the same is true for those who do good. Most of us don’t seem to want to do harm to others but we sure do have the ability when we think it’s called for.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20404
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.