slug.com slug.com

8 0

Was the French Revolution an example of the dark side of the enlightenment, or was it in opposition to it?

Could it be that a distinguishing philosophical difference between the French and American revolutions is one retained its Judeo-Christian heritage (though tempered it with lassiez-faire government), while the other rejected its God and its traditions all together? And could it be that's why one led to catastrophe and the other to a free, prosperous nation?

jnaatjes 7 Feb 24

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One was a revolution of Bible reading people, both the Christians and non Christians. The other was an atheist led revolution. .

There is a book by a French Conservative named Phillippe Beneton called Equality by Default that addresses this question. I read it like six years ago in a poli sci course. If I remember correctly, Beneton's argument is that the French Revolution was rooted in collectivist thought. It sought to bring everybody down to the same level. In contrast, the American revolution was rooted in individualism and wanted to lift everybody up. I think he said something about how the American Revolution was rooted in the belief that mankind is the offspring of God and should be treated with equal reverence and respect... It was something like that. If you are interested in this question, that would be a good book to look at. It was a good read.

Thanks for the recommendation! I have a limited understanding of the history of the French Revolution, but it seems to me in the absence of the Judeo-Christian tradition that man is created in the image of God, it's hard to come to the idea that the individual should be sovereign. I think this is at least in part what the French Revolution lacked.

In other words, at the heart of true enlightenment is not atheism, but a sense of the transcendent. I don't care what you think that transcendent is... whether it's Jesus, or Buddha, or the Force... but in the absence of that connection to a higher realm, a culture loses its appreciation and respect for the eternal worth of the individual.

Evidence of a power vacuum? Once the old certainties have been pulled apart you need something else to attempt to create order.

I would think you would have to first question the motives of the French monarchy, involving itself in the American revolution, in light of the fact, that France and Britain were bitter rivals at that time. And a contributing factor, the abject poverty the French peasants were experiencing, made them ripe for the picking. In answer to your wonderful, thought provoking question, I would have to say it was in opposition to it. Tearing everything down, as was done to the French, in the name of and by the French speaks to me of resistance, or ignorance of so called enlightenment. A restistance that was said to have been stirred , instigated and led by the Jacobites. Circling back again to the unsuccessful resistance to the British monarchy and it's values at that time The French people weren't enlightened, they were hungry, afraid and pissed off. But don't get me wrong, big fan of the Scots and what they were trying to do. And if I am totally off topic, my sincere apologies.

Sorry it took me a few days to respond.

I've just realized after reading your comment that I'm not sure of all the reasons why the French decided to help the Americans. Might be something worth reading up on.

Thinking about what you said, it reminds me of what the left has done with vulnerable people today... just in a much less bloody manner. Put them in a desperate situation and then exploit them.

Would depend who was holding torch wouldn't it?

Absolutely. CNN, NBC, ABC, etc. never issue retractions, and simply seem to like watching the burn.

I'm not really talking about where either country is currently. I'm more talking about the results of each revolution. The French Revolution led to more tyranny and brutal executions.

The FR was anarchy... a very dark moment in history. An example of when the rule of law dies at the hands of civil disobedience. It is nothing to admire or emulate.

While the US is certainly more pro individual liberty, I'd say both countries have their fair share of troubles...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20620
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.