slug.com slug.com

3 4

An observation from Leonydus Johnson:

Slavery is an ancient institution that had existed all over the world for thousands of years without any real moral controversy prior to the Enlightenment.

It is not remarkable that slavery existed in America. It is remarkable that it was abolished.

Wordmage 8 Apr 30

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Right on! The abolition of slavery by the British Empire is another great story! Today, people are only free to complain about slavery in places it doesn't exist anymore.

Great point.

@Wordmage You seem to have a knack for finding good quotes.

I may not say many smart things myself, but I am able to recognize when other people do. 🙂

Slavery is common in large parts of the world today (maybe even more than ever). But is very illegal and frowned upon in the western world. Yet we're the ones supposed to be ashamed? As we speak, slave men are beaten to a pulp over nothing legally, and women raped and abused beyond recognition in Asia, Russia, Africa, eastern europe, South America... But hey... Respect their culture... Right?

Even in tribal, pre-Hispanic Philippines we practiced slavery, otherwise the word slave (alipin) would not be in our vocabulary.

@eschatologyguy My Viking ancestors made a fortune on selling slaves to the middle east. But most our slaves were white, and sold to people that weren't white... so we're never shamed for it. I guess it's ok to do it that way.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:217624
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.