slug.com slug.com

58 6

Reparations for slavery

I'm curious what folks think about the Dem presidential candidates talking about the government paying reparations to, I assume, blacks in the US for slavery in our past. Is it just a ploy to reel back in black voters who are in Blexit mode? Why do none of them address modern-day slavery which exists in astonishing numbers worldwide, including in the US?

SJJensen 4 Mar 24

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

58 comments (51 - 58)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In Lincoln's Second Inaugural Address, he suggested that the massive national destruction caused by the war was a reparation of sorts. He clearly had a different view of reparations then the modern Democrat Party:

Fondly do we hope, fervently do we pray, that this mighty scourge of war may speedily pass away. Yet, if God wills that it continue until all the wealth piled by the bondsman's two hundred and fifty years of unrequited toil shall be sunk, and until every drop of blood drawn with the lash shall be paid by another drawn with the sword, as was said three thousand years ago, so still it must be said "the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether."

I probably have some ancestors who fought on the side of the North in the Civil War. Do I therefore owe less in reparations? (I know from family stories, I think they're more credible than Warren stories though.)

Or perhaps my family should even receive reparations, to make up for the struggle and sacrifice they undertook generations ago?

What about people who are descended from both sides?

Ultimately, however, my view is similar to Lincoln's.

Perhaps reparations should be paid for the Dhimmitude of Christians, Jews, Sikhs, Buddhists, Hindus, etc.

There is never an excuse for reparations to anyone for some past deeds of a supposed minority of people. In life there are winners and losers, cowards and heroes. If you think you deserve reparations then you and your now dead relatives were losers and cowards. Remember the 1st people enslaved from Africa were not turned into slaves by Europeans or Americans rather by their own people so take your asses back to AFRICA and try to collect what you think you are owed. As a slave you did receive clothing, housing and food so when you pay that back maybe we can talk. NAH!!! NOT A PENNY!!!

Not paying them shit. Not going to enable their victimhood. It would solve nothing. No one today in the US is a slave, has ever been a slave. You don't deserve it, you were not victimized. If you are black and don't want reparations you got it right!

If there not happy just deport them back. Quickest way to stop most of them playing the race card.

I oppose reparations but I would be amused to see the dollar amounts the advocates have in mind for punishing these imagined transgressions against modern day blacks.

As a citizen of the UK, I demand reparations from the Romans, the Normans and those pesky Vikings!

Absolute nonsense!

I refuse to pay up, pleb. And in an entirely non-hypocritical jump, I also demand reparations for the short time that Rome was ruled by the Etruscan Kings.

Then, in turn, I will demand from you reparations for my 10 gens back grandfather who was a slave from Ireland brought to America.

But hey, the Americans should pay for that too...

Further, my 6 gens back grandfather and grandmother were whites running an underground railroad point as minister and wife of a church in southern Indiana (literally within view of KY) - so please to be explaining again how those white folks owe you when they already paid...

As a Scot who is related to a Scot who fought as an Officer under William Wallace at Sterling ... and other places ... and who, about six months later was also Drawn and Quartered and Who’s Head Graced the Wall in London ...

Do I get in that “reparations” line as well?
I mean ... I think I’ve still got echoes of his PTSD to this day ... !!!
LOL!!!

(no intent to make light of other people’s PTSD)

I'm not a slve

Never owned a slave

The definition of the word "reparation" is the making of amends for a wrong one has done, by paying money to or otherwise helping those who have been wronged.

Musta been sleepwalking or blackout drunk

Source:

14th Amendment

I have a "Bone of Contention" theory about such things: If it looks like it might at least destabilize any coherent opposition, then it's all good. Create an emotional polemic, then throw it down in front of folks, watch the ensuing frenzy, and do all manner of nasty stuff in the meantime.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:24462
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.