slug.com slug.com

2 2

Changes considered to Chief Health Officer's powers

guru 9 Oct 9

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Would making them fines-and-jail-term accountable do the trick?

Right. Unelected officials should not have that kind of power.

The question is how? Looking back, I think serious ideological vetting is required. But this might be moot already by how fast overwhelming bad news is wheezing our way.

@eschatologyguy Here in the states, an unelected official with such power usually has it only because the elected official whose job it really is has wrongly ceded the authority to that official. All that needs to be done to fix the situation, then, is simply for the properly elected official to take control. I don't know how things work in Australia.

@KeithThroop So the POTUS is still accountable for allowing the likes of Fauci to act as if he were POTUS.

@eschatologyguy Right. Although it would be difficult for the POTUS to fire Dr. Fauci due to various legal protections for him as a civil servant, the president could simply ignore him, choosing to follow the advice of different medical professionals, set his own policies, and let Fauci say whatever he wants. Along with these steps, he could also issue certain executive orders that would prevent Dr. Fauci from speaking to certain issues, and, given the fact that Fauci works for the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, which is part of the Executive branch, he would be required to follow any legal Executive Orders issued by the president. Failure to do so would give grounds for termination. At any rate, there are things that could be done to take the control that belongs to the president and to greatly silence Fauci or set him up for dismissal. In addition, as Rand Paul has observed, there are very good grounds for an investigation of Fauci for perjury. With such grounds, the president could also order that Fauci be investigated and, possibly, order that he be suspended pending such investigation. This would require jumping through some legal hoops, but it is quite possible, I think. Anyway, this is the lay of the land so far as I understand it regarding that particular viper.

@KeithThroop in the PH, the POTPH (oops!) can fire anybody under the executive branch.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:275544
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.