slug.com slug.com

7 0

In trying to understand intelligence vs. smart, who do you find in history was intelligent or smart?

You can use anyone today also. But historical may have more information? This could help know for me anyway, what this is about?

2FollowHim 8 Apr 11

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I did a podcast on this subject.
Here is a link:
[2dimwits.com]

"Fish are good swimmers but you try to teach him to climb a tree that fish will live his whole life thinking he is dumb."

Jacob Bronowski was both, any of the historical Polymaths were both.

Intelligent has to do with cognitive abilities and can be tracked by IQ test. Smart has to do with common sense and better described by EQ or how well you relate to other people. Also the former is left brain (expert knowledge) vs the later being right brain (wisdom). Intelligent is vertical (specific) while smart is horizontal (breath of knowledge). IMHO. An obtuse person may be an expert (intelligent) but yet lack wisdom (dumb).

smart is what you know, Intelligence is how you use what you know.

Dutch, largely agree. Smart usually has an academic context (scores well on tests). Intelligence adds application of the smarts (scores well on the meaningful, think of a successful businessman). Wisdom gives application altitude (score well on providing leadership or insights or ideas etc, often comes with age and experience, think of a philosopher IE Stefan Molyneux or founders of IDW). Suspect these do not line up with a dictionary description. Thinking more how they manifest today in common usage. Open to feedback and clarification. Like him or hate him Trump has at minimum the first two and likely the third (if you ignore his packaging and presentation he has beat the odds over and over).

A slight lateral slide on the question. I worked with a Chinese guy who made me realize something.
Being absolutely on top of your technical subject and working your ass off is almost indistinguishable from genius.

The smartest ones are most likely not known to history, IMO.

Margaret Thatcher
Today Ben Carson

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:29832
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.