slug.com slug.com

33 2

Does the term white privilege exist in America?

As an observation, I have included a 4 minute video regarding a philosophy of the term white privilege. Is white privilege as the video portrays? Why or why not?
  • 5 votes
  • 58 votes
MikeSwi 4 Apr 22

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

it was never so much "white privilege" as it was oppression and cruelty to Blacks. The power really is now and was then along lines of economic strata and relative not to the color of skin but to the particular level of the economic scheme you live - possession of financial, political and property resources or the lack thereof. For every black person you can show who lived in privation and suffrage you can find at least 10 times as many Whites. The major difference being that poor and destitute white people were not maltreated by lynchings but they certainly were oppressed in the same ways that Black people were.

A statistic the Black community rarely addresses: Blacks are 12-13% of the population but commit 52% of all violent crime rape, assault and murder. That being said; when a cab driver drives past a black man to pick up a white person, they are playing the odds against being robbed or murdered. Also, this happens regardless of the cab driver's race. That is; A Black cab driver is more likely to pick up a White passenger over a Black passenger for the same reason. The number one killer of black men in America is other black men in America.

and...

about 25% of black youth do not graduate from high school. of those who do graduate and attend college, a dismal 55% do not complete their degree,

couple that with the birthrate of black children to single moms is 75%,

and those children raised in single parent families.

and you have three of the main factors that all but guarantee the individual will live in poverty - lack of education and being born into and raised in a single income family...

it's not "white privilege". it's " black culture" that has driven those numbers.

one theory that needs some discussing is how black people have been victimized by democrats and the affirmative action program of the '60s. virtually every one of the 20 major cities in the u.s. is controlled by democrats - the ol' party of slavery. the "new plantations" of inner city life keeps blacks in "their place" and voting democrat with poor education and the triumvirate welfare, food stamps, and subsidized housing. they are going nowhere, and who will they vote for? those who feed them, of course.

the counter-point? statistically there is a group of blacks who DO earn substantially more than their white confreres - black immigrants from (i believe) nairobi who, it turns out, have masters degrees. it isn't the color of their skin, it's their level of education.

there is no "white privilege". if anything, there is "black privilege" that generates false claims of racism and prejudices, while trolling for benefits like reparations payments and income equalization.

This video was gagworthy. White privilege exists only to the extent that white people have higher average IQ's than other racial groups. It exists to the extent that white people are better socially adapted, have more manageable emotions, better time preferences, less criminality, etc. So what these commie anti-whites are saying is: If you are more talented than other less talented people then you have privilege. These rats hate everything that is better, smarter and more beautiful than them. They are the enemies of Civilization.

The problem with the issue is they speak of it as if it is a universal constant. I have been to the middle east. There is no advantage to being white. When I was in Japan, I saw no advantage to being white. When I was suppose to go to Africa. The fact I was white, was an liability. It is funny to me, that the video even mentions that this is not the case for all groups.

The problem was never race centric. It has more to do with the majority getting Economic benefit because it is the majority. Or you will find the services set up to serve the greatest number of people. Kosther food in a town where no ones eats kosher is counter productive.

Do you see the pattern??? White people are global minority which other racial groups despise. Once we lose our homelands (indeed our Civilization) we will be a roving group of nomads which the rest of the world spits at. I cannot believe we have allowed this to happen to us. And we do so with such an air of fake virtue it is cringeworthy.

@BritonCasey

yes, I am a fan of what I call deep history. The funny thing one needs to worry less about race and more about belief and understanding. Any one who all they can see is a single characteristic of a person is blind to the truth of humanity. Of course the funny thing to me is that the people creating the biggest fuss are fussing about themselves.

[quillette.com]

@Tzuriel I would never say that race is the only factor in one's identity. I would note that it seems to me that race is the beginning factor to Identity because one is born into their race and cannot extricate themselves from it. As opposed to culture where one can remove themselves from the culture they were born into and even react against it. You cannot change your race (or gender, but I digress). Your race will follow you everywhere. And the only people who consistently and actively attempt to ignore their race are white people. Sorry, but that will not work as non-whites will continue to remind you of your whiteness. They will act racially collective while you act like a muh "individual." All the while getting your ass handed to you in the most humiliating fashion.

The real issue with race is that we have been forced to ignore it for so long that it is now coming up all the time in order to make up for lost time. That is not an obsession. That is simply getting things back to normal.

As the white mother of a young black man, I would’ve like to be sympathetic to this video. Being in a mixed race family, I have seen things. Unfortunately, the rules of good journalism apply no matter what your race, topic, age, etc. Fallacies, statistical manipulation, and too easy conclusions based on stereotypes, frankly make this video more offensive than informative.

What a waste of resources when a constructive conversation on this topic might benefit everyone. I wish this generation would re-read their Martin Luther King and try again on this video. (This is what my son said when I showed him the video.)

The question is confusing, are you asking does the term exist, in that people use it, or does white privilege exist as described in this video? If it's the former the existence of the video proves it does exist as a phrase or term. However if the latter then no.

@MichaelSwinney there are still people who claim it doesn't or that it is so uncommon that it isn't a problem or you misunderstand the concept and it isn't as bad as you think.

However the concept has seeped into society and informs all types of social policies; I'm doing a social course with a mental health & diversity aspects and this theory seems to be informing a lot of that work. I hear it's the same in teaching training courses.

In the UK I think we're a couple of years away from dividing classes along racial lines and telling all the whites they have "white privilege". Unlike in the USA this will be uniform because we are smaller nation with centralised power. It's going to structure children's whole lifes soon.

If it doesn't exist, why are we talking about it?

"white privilege" is the go-to claim of those who prefer to remain perepetual victims

@MichaelSwinney Are you claiming that aliens doesn't exist? 🙂

@MichaelSwinney Heh... what's the fact? You thinking there's no white privilege? That's not fact. That's your opinion. Sorry but you can't give me any valid fact simply because there is no one. Only opinions

If it didn't exist then how does the government legitimize the protected classes of citizens it has been creating with legislative actions such as hate crime law or affirmative action? Or via executive fiat such as DACA?

Racism is an individual concept the government promotes, perhaps as a corrective measure, or unwittingly, but in some cases I would say intentionally.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:33113
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.