slug.com slug.com

2 2

LINK A sign of the times in Philadelphia: Starbucks plans a new Center City location with no restrooms or seating

Starbucks is planning to open a new store in Center City Philadelphia that will be a radically scaled-down facility for the national chain, after it said it was closing another downtown store over the summer, along with 15 other U.S. locations, citing safety concerns for employees.

At less than 1,600 square feet, the planned store at 1709 Chestnut will be for take-out only: It will not have public seating or a public restroom, according to the leasing agent involved in the deal.

Larry Steinberg, a commercial leasing agent who worked with Starbucks on the new store, described the design as a departure from the norm for the Seattle-based chain.

“I’ve done a bunch of Starbucks leases and this is the first one that they are calling their new urban concept,” said Steinberg, senior managing director with Colliers’ urban retail division in Philadelphia.

With this new concept “they’re avoiding having to entertain the public, and give them seating and bathrooms,” he said. “Then they don’t have to deal with any of these other issues.”

Staff are “seeing firsthand the challenges facing our communities–personal safety, racism, lack of access to health care, a growing mental health crisis, rising drug use,” read an open letter signed by Debbie Stroud and Denise Nelsen, senior vice presidents of U.S. operations.

Starbucks had created an open-restroom policy after an incident at a Philadelphia store resulted in nationwide headlines and claims of racial discrimination.

In 2018, two Black men, Rashon Nelson and Donte Robinson, were arrested before meeting an acquaintance in a Starbucks location at 18th and Spruce. The two men hadn’t purchased anything as they waited, and a manager called the police. The ensuing scandal resulted in an apology tour and company wide anti-racism training.

The new store model coming to 1709 Chestnut would appear to minimize public interactions overall.

“Their core is to sell you coffee and pastries and that’s it,” Steinberg said of the new style of location.

sqeptiq 10 Sep 8

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In my hometown a chain restaurant opened that has no seating, only a drive through. I haven't been there yet, but I doubt they have a restroom either.

Yup, that's the "paradise" of Philadelphia for you. Sadly, Allentown is catching up where woke policies are concerned, but no one else in PA beats Philly on that though. Glad I don't patronize Starbucks.

Not a lot of brotherly love left in Philly.

@FuzzyMarineVet For sure.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:366670
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.