slug.com slug.com

2 2

Wait... it's not really Tuna? That's pretty messed up. [theatlantic.com]

CaptainFeelgood 7 Oct 11

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thanks for the info. From my own investigation I found that the larger national chains and the big city restaurants are the most likely to lie on the labels while the local stores and rural restaurants are the least likely to do so. My take is that people who know and care about their neighbors are less likely to cheat them.

The Philippines is a major exporter of tuna and tuna is relatively more affordable here than over there. Especially those smaller than 5kgs in size. The bigger it is, the more expensive it is.

Philippine tuna is the best I've ever eaten. Don't disrespect those 10-pounders. They too are quite good and young enough to have less built up mercury.

@FuzzyMarineVet Those go for as little as $3/kg.

@eschatologyguy You're making me hungry. I'll happily pay $6.50/lb. for quality Philippine tuna. Alas, It would cost the same amount to ship it to the Smoky Mountains where I live. This is the face of envy! I must repent.

@FuzzyMarineVet that's $13 per kg!

@eschatologyguy That's the price we pay here. You pay $1.45 / lb. in the Philippines.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:373579
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.