slug.com slug.com

1 1

Only a few members are regularly making posts, which, unfortunately, hardly ever lead to any interesting conversation/discussion.

What's happened to those long-serving, loyal members? Have they all left?

Naomi 8 Sep 8

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is difficult to recreate a social environment once it is left to whither on the vine.

Discussions often need controversy and what is left here are those that, generally IMO, either have similar viewpoints, or there is so much controversy that people are burnt out on it.

In the USA, division is so deep, that only when you can get two (or a small group) of people willing to sit down and hash things out, do we find out, yeah, not so much. But media and politicians and even activist groups THRIVE on controversy and so seek to perpetuate it.

No one trusts the other side to be good faith debaters, or people willing to see a middle ground.

I put up 50 viewpoints here, many have been on topics controversial in society over the last 2 decades and got very few comments and no debate. BEFORE this site got abandoned. People have to be willing to engage.

Most, are 'social media mavens', the attention span of gnats.

Ah, I see. This site consists largely of American right-wingers, and therefore is an eco chamber for them.

@Naomi I don't think so. I've seen enough comments HERE to suggest it is just social burnout on both sides rather than one side so dominant there is no other side. That and the belief, from all quarters, that there won't be a good faith argument/debate.

I said elsewhere that people hold positions they believe are fundamentally right/good, otherwise, why would they? Therefore disagreement is with people that they believe are fundamentally wrong/BAD. Many, both sides, would strong disagree with the following statement:

It is possible, with the same information and situation, that two people can come to opposing viewpoints, and both would be right, to a significant degree.

How many topics are you willing to get into a debate/argument/discussion? One, two? The most important issues to you - but are they significantly different than what is 'commonly accepted' in society? Or is the majority aligned with them?

I have 5 or 6. Several most, all?!, people would say are impossible positions. That is why one of my books is called The Apocalypse Plan. It would take one to have any chance. But that doesn't make them wrong in my opinion. So, does that make them 'fundamentally wrong/bad'?

@Naomi Also, this is an English speaking site (I've only seen a very rare post otherwise) and just in raw numbers, the US has more active social media participants in this language. My positions, though I've been called Libertarian and Alt-Right, are NOT aligned with stereotypical 'right wing' positions. I doubt anyone thinks I am right wing.

@tracycoyle Labelling people isn't my cup of tea.

@Naomi We all categorize people even if we don't express that process to others. We can use different labels/names/category headings for the results - but we do it.

I happen to think there are only about 7 or 8 different types of people, and A BAZILLION others have created their own categories and presented their arguments for them. Mine work for me.

Society creates labels, for it's own purposes, as do we all. If you don't want to label people, don't. But the reason stereotypes exist, is because people tend to fall into repeating categories - it is helpful to recognize them in order to deal with the mass of society rationally.

IMO.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:426380
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.