slug.com slug.com

2 0

What is Life?
I believe life begins at conception. That it is the hand of God that “knits us together in the womb”. Many will disagree. Many will feel the same.
But I have a slightly different question. What if there is no womb? What if the embryo is created completely in the lab? For the sole purpose of research and use in the medical field.
Is it immoral? Is it a technicality that subverts the law of God? Is it something altogether different? Is it even a life? I do not know. My heart tells me that it is wrong to create life in a lab for any reason. But my mind struggles with the logic.
For me, I will search the Bible and ask God to grant me wisdom. Perhaps He will use one of your answers to open my eyes to truth. So, tell me great mind of the IDW, what is life?

Boardwine 8 Oct 6

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is an interesting question to ponder.

I lean towards the idea that live begins at fertilization, which would mean that, even the morning after pill might be questionable because it works by preventing implantation of the zygote, and thus it is a conscious human intervention intended to prevent the zygote proceeding with the normal life cycle. I am fully aware that, even naturally, not all zygotes implant - some are expelled from the body and never have a chance to develop. I have no issue with that because it was not the result of a conscious human choice or even unreasonable negligence - it is just something that happens.

In terms of "creating life" in a lab for any reason, as you describe it - I have no issue with in vitro fertilization, for example, if the intention is to bring a child into the world. Fertilizing an ovum in order to harvest something from a zygote which will then be discarded... that I have a problem with!

Frankly, I don't think for a second that these scientists have "created" life in the lab. What they have done is fertilize a human egg with a living human sperm, and a new life comes as a result, just as it does in a woman's womb. They haven't the slightest clue, however, exactly how or why new life results. They simply watch it happen with no actual power to bring it about. As you search the Bible, beyond starting with the creation account in Genesis, there are many passages which speak of God as the Author of life, such as:

You alone are the Lord.
You have made the heavens,
The heaven of heavens with all their host,
The earth and all that is on it,
The seas and all that is in them.
You give life to all of them
And the heavenly host bows down before You. (Nehemiah 9:6)

God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands. Nor is He worshiped with men's hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things. And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; for in Him we live and move and have our being .... (Acts 17:24-28)

No one can actually create life but God. Those who may think they have done so merely because they have watched it happen are only kidding themselves.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:138258
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.