slug.com slug.com

35 9

What is hate speech?

Are hate speech laws not infringements upon free speech? Is it not the expression of unpopular ideas that needs protection? Who decides what is or is not free speech?

Rick82518 3 Apr 3

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

35 comments (26 - 35)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ask the collectivist Christiane Amanpour!

I just have one question. Is mother-fucker hate speech against those inclined toward oedipus--or mothers? I was raised in the academy, and I take very seriously my responsibility to swear. I must do my part to carry the lexicon of the academy forward.

Yeah, that's a fairly Quixotic attempt to define the site's boundaries. I'm dumb.

Hate speech is the speaking of anything that comes to mind caused by the emotion of hate. We should never speak when our emotions have been stirred up by hate. Hindsight is always 20-20.

The left use " emotion " rather than sheer logic as a weapon to sway popular opinion - much like ( as an example ) climate change. All you have to do is whip-up fear and play on the emotions of the masses - then pay ( through funding for projects and grants ) to members of the scientific community willing to espouse the desired outcome - and bingo!...climate change due to man is suddenly " real ".
This is using the argument " argumentum ad-populum " or ( if enough people hear it on raidio or read about it in newspapers or see it on television or talk about it - it MUST be true. ) - which of course is
total stupidity. But keep in mind that all forms of media including ALL newspapers magazines, television and radio ... belong to 6 families globally.

As the saying goes " If you repeat a lie often enough, people will believe it. If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth. If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. If you repeat a lie long enough, it becomes truth. If you repeat a lie many times, people are bound to start believing it. " - Joseph Goebbels.
\

It seems to me that it's almost anything that anyone thinks is hateful in the moment. There is speech that is hateful...however, hate speech...it was just called rude and mean in the past.

They are and always have been! Hate speech to me is when people call for harm towards others. Not by what they say but by how they go about doing it. I don’t think any speech should be censored. Prob cause I’m a big mouth. It starts here people. Next they will be jailing us for having our own opinions

Hate speech is a buzzword (or buzzwords) that leftists use to encompass anything and everything that offends them. As American citizens we have the unrestricted right to free expression no matter who we piss off. Traditionally the only speech that is controlled is slander, libel or direct calls to violent action. These are the only controls on speech that I can get behind, and even still I would have to see overwhelming evidence not just of the statement but of its intent. Needless to say the modern left considers violent slanderous speech sacred and has no respect for the right to express ones beliefs, so I would have to say criminal speech exists in some form or fashion but hate speech does not.

Free speech is a thing of the past in the UK. Most people are still naive enough to think that only inciting violence is illegal. 'Hate speech' is so open to interpretation that it is a really useful tool in shutting down debate altogether and once that happens it's RIP democracy. We move closer to a totalitarian state every day and by the time most of us wake up to this it will be too late to do anything about it. I predict that within 30 years every country in the world will be some sort of dictatorship, the EU is half way there already

Hate speech I would say is any types of idea brought forward that could anyhow potentially prevent anyone else accessing any types of free speech or freedom whatsoever.

And the "any types" is important as the ideas of freedom changes relatively with how societoes evolve with time.

These days, Hate Speech is any speech that is hated. It's a sad state of afairs.

For example if we promote killing you that is surely illegal. ?

That's not hate speech, that's a call to action. If the action being called for is illegal, then the speech should be limited. Imo.

@QuantumQueen calls to action (of violence) are illegal, and can be pursued in court as, I believe, liable....

In retrospect, governments do that these days as it is - allowing chemicals into food, water medications and the air..... but I would be remiss if I failed to mention Drone strikes on US citizens BY US drones right?.

But isn't the arrogance of the left breath-taking when they purport to stand for free speech and equality - yet, when those with an opposing opinion try to espouse their side of the argument - they are drowned out by fanatical jeering and abuse by the left.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:27219
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.