slug.com slug.com
5 1

Is mass surveillance a good or bad thing?

I think from a utilitarian perspective, it's a good thing because it makes getting away with crimes more difficult. The stated purpose of government is to keep its citizens safe, and mass surveillance allows the government to do that better.

tenslein 6 July 28
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Utilitarian surveillance; property security for example; (i.e. farmers have protected crops, livestock, etc. throughout history) and monitoring where humans cannot be available, seem perfectly acceptable. However surveillance for the purpose of ideological control is abhorrent.

Edward Snowden pretty much covered this, read up.

Whether or not it could potentially be used to make our lives safer, it ALWAYS gets misused for tyranny, period.

Freedom is much more essential, much more valuable and much more desirable than safety.

Actually, to a significant degree, you can have both, just not to the idiot-proof extent most people want these days, where everything must be 100% free...

Why is freedom more valuable and desirable than safety? Also, why does mass surveillance lead to tyranny?

I've seen a Snowden documentary. I don't like reading much though.

The differences between cultures is one of the factors of evolution that is overlooked. It plays a significant role in our survival along with our instincts. The original purpose of the United States government was to allow white male property owners to have the freedom to pursue increase in their wealth and livelihood. At around the beginning of the 20th century women and minorities started petitioning for the right to vote. That was accomplished mid-century. It was then that white male protestants started voicing complaint over the loss of control they used to have over the country which caused an extreme right-wing backlash.

The culture in America is surveillance averse and obsessed with what they term as freedom. The trouble is that very few people would be able to define what freedom means to them. It is a mysterious state where they will be able to do anything they want. That has caused us to become so wrapped up in ourselves and so selfish that we cannot consider anyone but ourselves. China is on the rise at this point in history and America has fallen to disarray. We will have to see how the mass surveillance experiment works out.

Pand0ro Level 7 July 28, 2020

What was the extreme right wing backlash?

@tenslein Being used to being in power a person will be very sensitive to any loss of it. Dissatisfaction with the group in power is always there. When the traditional white male protestants that drove the direction of America felt themselves losing power to non-traditional groups, it was understandably very upsetting to them. Their anger was focused on the group that they saw as taking it away, the Democratic party. I am old enough to remember when the opposing parties could communicate with each other. The right has reacted strongly to that and the Democrats have gone off the deep end in trying to win back voters.

It's a bad thing.

I’ve never heard governments role as being “to keep its citizens safe”, protect national borders and national sovereignty perhaps, but I don’t think it’s within the responsibility or even the realm of ability for any government to keep its citizenry safe. I’m also wary of the increasing level of government surveillance that seems to be everywhere now including cyberspace. It’s not being used to make anyone “safer”, although that’s the pitch government uses to push it on us. It’s being used to control us and that’s sinister.

Andyman Level 8 July 28, 2020

Well I thought the purpose of government was to keep people safe because there’s so many laws designed to do that: You’re not allowed to commit suicide, not allowed to drive without a seatbelt, etc.

Isn’t the purpose of guarding the borders to keep us safe from illegal aliens? Or is that to keep the culture safe?

@tenslein but we don't know what your real opinion is, since In China, you are not allowed to have any other opinion than the one you have expressed here.

@curvycom I'm in Washington DC now. I just haven't bothered updating my location here. I felt I could speak just as freely in China as in America. Actually, I could speak even more freely. I could say wig-nat stuff in China with no negative consequences.

Only if you're famous does your anti-China speech get silenced in China. I'm a nobody in China so I said a bunch of anti-China stuff in private messages on the Chinese social media app. I'd talk about the organ stealing, for example.

@tenslein Not what I've heard from people close to me who lived and worked there. They were constantly under surveillance (including their emails and phones) and they knew people deported within 24 hours just for saying something negative about the Chinese government.

@tenslein Really? Which famous bear does the leader of China resemble again?

: )

I can't imagine China would care about wignat stuff. That's more critical of the US, really.

Although, in your defense, I will say, a friend of mine went to china on some kind of business. While there, he met an American Expat and struck up a conversation with him.

The guy told my friend something along the lines of "Actually in a lot of ways, you have more freedom here in China." to which my friend sardonically replied: "Yeah. There was a Christmas display in our hotel lobby! Try doing THAT in the USA!!" Which sent the (probably leftist) Expat reeling and careening away.

I have another old friend that works for Disney (I believe he is in Hong Kong right now, though I'm not really sure) I will say he seems to really love it there.

"curvycom" Group

@curvycom Winnie the Pooh.

China in general is very lax on rules. It got to the point where I longed for the strictness of America.

@Potgieter I've only heard of some Youtubers being bothered for being negative about China. I never felt I was being monitored by the government. One time I was talking negatively to a girl on WeChat about restrictive Chinese Internet. She suggested that I don't talk about that with her. I asked if she was scared of the government, and she blocked me.

Also, when I thought I had coronavirus, I would use Gmail instead of AOL mail (don't need a VPN for AOL) to communicate about my symptoms to my family because I was scared of possibly being abducted and taken to a hospital. I was scared because I saw videos of Chinese being dragged out of their apartments. In hindsight, I was probably being paranoid.

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 15

Photos 516 More

Posted by CourseofEmpireA little weird. All of them ina nation that is overwhelmingly Eastern Orthodox? Shouldn’t there be more of them in there instead?

Posted by InspirationHow do you explain this.

Posted by CourseofEmpireIf the international banking cartel says that you aren't allowed to have a bank account, it means you are a threat.

Posted by CourseofEmpireThis should be our objective

Posted by CourseofEmpireProposed measures to reduce fertility in the US, 1967. "Too Many Americans."

Posted by CourseofEmpireA little pita bread, tsaziki, souvlaki, mmmm, quite tasty; not sure about the social media platform though. ;)

Posted by CourseofEmpireI mean, is he really wrong?

Posted by CourseofEmpireThere are reports many larger cities are starting to see an outward drift. Maybe the early stages of this? ;)

Posted by CourseofEmpireWhy can’t C-19 vaccine mandates be taken seriously?

Posted by CourseofEmpireWarren is one of the inventors of mRNA and he believes 1 to 2 billion will die from this vaxx. [twitter.com]

Posted by CourseofEmpireThe vast majority are vaxxed. This can’t be the unvaxxed who are mostly dying. Remember, they are a few months ahead of the Northern hemisphere.

Posted by CourseofEmpireAwesome 😂

Posted by CourseofEmpireWeimar (yes, THAT Weimar) will no longer report numbers of vaxxed people being hospitalized for COVID because the truth might be used for "misinformation." -Lovecraft's Cat

Posted by CourseofEmpireAny cause. This is an amazing vaccination, you are almost invincible if you get it, everyone (except a few little side effects and such)! 😂

Posted by CourseofEmpireHow long before a politician is physically attacked and even killed for mandating vaccines? [news.com.au]

Posted by CourseofEmpireNotice how much things increased with this one vaccine?

• Top tags#video #world #media #government #hope #biden #money #Police #youtube #reason #truth #death #god #culture #rights #whites #democrats #society #China #politics #USA #freedom #vote #evidence #Canada #children #videos #TheTruth #liberal #racist #nation #evil #fear #kids #racism #chinese #friends #hell #conservative #community #crime #propaganda #justice #Christian #book #population #religion #FreeSpeech #antifa #violence ...

Members 1,889Top