slug.com slug.com

58 6

Are Left-Wingers Welcome Here?

Are Left-Wingers welcome in this community?

Would you like to see more left-wingers participate in discussion here, or would you prefer if they kept to their own spaces?

Note that I’m not asking whether leftists should be excluded, I’m sure most of you don’t agree with that, I’m merely asking about preferences: whether you would like to see them here, or not.

Furthermore, if left-wingers were to come here, would you be willing to treat them as equals? Would you be willing to engage with them on a serious level and reflect thoughtfully on what they have to say, or would you expect them to be the one to meet you... to make concessions and so on?

It would be particularly nice to get feedback from @admin on this issue too.

• 8 votes
  • 16 votes
  • 88 votes
  • 21 votes
InternetDorkWeb 6 Mar 29

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

58 comments (51 - 58)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think we need yo have a good variety of all points of view. #WELCOMEALL

I’m glad to hear it, but would you be willing to grant them equal standing?

Because that may require that steps be taken to accomodate them.

@InternetDorkWeb If they are not trolls and contribute, sure.

I'm not sure why they shouldn't have 'equal standing'. - don't understand what that means really.

I don't believe any special accommodations would be needed. Can't think of any....

@Guido_Provolone The question is about priorities and taking practical steps to deliver results.

@InternetDorkWeb what does steps to accommodate mean?

@Danielion A good question!

So at the time I first posted this I had a few things in mind. I regularly encounter posts where people make uncharitable generalisations about the left; accusations that the left hates free speech and so on. In truth though there is considerable diversity among the left on all manner of things.

Trying to limit those generalisations is one way that you could make the forum more accommodating to the left. It’s a bit unreasonable to expect people to engage with these kinds of comments.

But as I thought about it more, even the name of the site and it’s purpose as an IDW fansite is restrictive: why would most people who dislike or are ambivalent towards the IDW participate?

So the question becomes, well, what is the priority?

@InternetDorkWeb To me, this is like a great hall of yore. A place for collaboration and innovation. As a Christian, I believe it when the Bible says, “As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” Open dialogue is a beautiful thing. As for prejudice toward the left, I personally love it when I get to inhabit a stereotype and vaporize it. So many stereotypes heaped on a male WASP who voted for Trump; bursting them is a joy. Any leftists entering would have that same opportunity. Seriously though, I have seen some surprisingly rude responses here to your post, but I think the hostility only exposes its source. How about those on the right prefer individualism and discourse, and those on the left tend toward groupthink and shame? Change my mind. Please.

@Danielion What do you mean by your comment “hostility only exposes its source”?

I expect some degree of hostility here because I know I am in the minority and that my views are contrary to others. This is actually something I find appealing (I like the challenge and chaos). But my posts are civil and I try very hard to engage people who respond to me seriously.

This runs contrary to the concept of groupthink and I have never attempted to shame anyone on this site about anything. So I completely reject those allegations.

I am not right wing & I am here functioning just fine.

Well the question is asking you to state a preference on a hypothetical matter, so I’m not really sure why you think it’s skewed. And you don’t need to be right wing to have an opinion on it either.

There is an option in the poll if you consider yourself left-wing too... so I really don’t understand the problem.

@InternetDorkWeb My fault for even considering engaging. Ok then, Go on & be condescending you won't get much debate.

I am left-leaning, I sure hope so 🙂

I mean, at least on here I won't have to hear them scream profanity at me and spit on me....so the playing field would be somewhat level? But, I'm also white and German-American, so the Nazi hate speech would become annoying towards me pretty quick as usual. Its just more civil without them.

What does left winger mean to you?

It really depends on what it means to you; though I would say someone who believes in shared ownership of the means of production seems like the most straightforward broad definition.

Liberalism is a mental disorder. Pretty much sums it up.

I have nothing against a lively discussion of these topics. However, an insult laden rant is not a discussion. That's what most of my discussions have brought forth from the left and no I don't engage. I just point out that insults are a pretty crummy way to communicate your point. I welcome having my views questioned. That's healthy and productive. If someone's on the right, left or on the moon, the only restriction I would like to see enforced is that the comments remain reasoned and respectful.

that was a joke, right?

@Segovia There is hope. They typically do one of two things when you point out that their screaming isn't going to convince anyone and given how 2016 turned out they need to do some convincing. They either calm down till you wind them up again or they go away.

I think left winges went of rails years ago

Well maybe it seems that way because you don’t have much interaction with left wing people, and you might change your mind if you knew more of them.

Alternatively, maybe you know plenty and would like your solace here.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25820
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.