slug.com slug.com

58 6

Are Left-Wingers Welcome Here?

Are Left-Wingers welcome in this community?

Would you like to see more left-wingers participate in discussion here, or would you prefer if they kept to their own spaces?

Note that I’m not asking whether leftists should be excluded, I’m sure most of you don’t agree with that, I’m merely asking about preferences: whether you would like to see them here, or not.

Furthermore, if left-wingers were to come here, would you be willing to treat them as equals? Would you be willing to engage with them on a serious level and reflect thoughtfully on what they have to say, or would you expect them to be the one to meet you... to make concessions and so on?

It would be particularly nice to get feedback from @admin on this issue too.

• 8 votes
  • 16 votes
  • 88 votes
  • 21 votes
InternetDorkWeb 6 Mar 29

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

58 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Progress can only be made by debate and discussion.

I would say calling someone a “left-winger” or “right-winger” actually violates community standards by dehumanizing them. If you read the guidelines, you find that anyone is welcome to participate in IDW if they treat others with respect and civility. In short, don’t be a troll.

Dehumanising people isn’t my intention, and I think that political labels are useful despite their many flaws. I even identify myself as “far left”.

@InternetDorkWeb but that is quite different from the connotations of “left-winger”.

@Brriker I used “left-winger” in the thread for that very reason, though I am proud to call myself far left.

I welcome left wingers as long as they are willing to engage in civil discourse and don't lead with I hate Trump in every conversation. It is such a bore!

I ha-
I hat-
Tru-

Ihatetrunksfromdragonballz!!

Ahem How do you do? 😉

@InternetDorkWeb Trunks has one epic moment in Dragonball Super. That's..... about it. Agreed!

I enjoy debating leftists. The reason I checked this place out was that usually after debating a leftist friend on Facebook about their false meme or hypocrisy for awhile, they unfriend or block me. I never make personal attacks, yet they easily become offended. I want to speak my mind without losing friends I've known all my life.

It’s unfortunate that people will shut someone out rather than engage them.

debate me

No vote...

I don't think anyone would be excluded or discouraged from participation based on their views. It eliminates discussion and debate, which is the point of this forum.

I don't want this group to turn into the conservative version of Twitter, FB, or YouTube. All should feel welcome to openly discuss ideas. Even left wingers. We combat bad ideas with good ideas. Not by silencing those we oppose.

If you're looking for an echo chamber you're probably missing the point of the IDW, what it stands for and why it is necessary.
I'm wondering if you are aware that the term itself was coined by Eric Weinstein, a Sanders supporting Liberal.

Liberalism is a mental disorder. The hate filled posts are not something I care to see. If they would be civil, not hateful and insane it would be fine if a leftist posted.

I'm as left as they come, but I don't believe in the policing of thought and speech that seems to be going on at the moment.

I come from a place with universal healthcare, I believe in a healthcare approach to drugs over a criminal one, I support UBI(at least for a well ran trial).

In the word of true and clear, adult debate I feel more at home with my centrist and moderate right wing friends.

I will listen to anyone's opinion no matter how stupid. BUT I will not tolerate an atmospere of anti America.

There are many different types of left wingers, U.S left wingers are different to U.K lefties. Middle class left different to working class left, myself being U.K working class tend to be socially liberal and economically centerist but still describe myself as a leftie.

No...liberals are the same everywhere...mentally ill.

A fifth vote could have been freedom of speech to all. ?

It’s not a free speech issue, it’s a question of whether the web site wants to encourage left wing people to participate.

I only included the first option (to exclude left wing people) for the sake of completeness.

@InternetDorkWeb rather boring talking only to people that agree with you

Just joined myself, many of the IDW members that people are fans of are self proclaimed lefties. Should be chill.

"...bring together people who want to improve society by solving problems with honest and civil debate...to become the preeminent politically-unaffiliated space to propose - and intelligently adjudicate - specific policy recommendations..."

That is the mission statement isn't it? If the mission is to create a space to excluding/eliminating/purging opinions we do not agree with, what else would we gain here aside from a(nother) friendly echo chamber with nothing new to move us forward with? Might as well advertise IDW as a dating site.

Echo chambers are boring and freedom of speech is vital. I disagree with most left wing opinions but they should have the right to be heard here. How else do we administer red pills?

Honest question to the 7 people who voted to exclude Lefties from IDW or who prefer them not to post.

How would you propose to test people for worthiness to join or to be allowed to post?
How does that position fit in with a place that is supposed to be forwarding free speech and open dialog?

I would love it if some rational left wingers joined this site and engaged in a civil debate over the issues. This is rare because they have been taught to silence us, shun us or ignore us, basically to label us as crazy, evil or stupid. We need a healthy exchange of ideas in this country but you can see what goes on on our college campuses. Contrary thought is no longer welcome in the eyes of the left

If left wingers are in here, I look at it as a chance to educate them, or if you will deprogram them.

Maybe they will be the ones who will deprogramme you @Twinsport

Jeez, ha, ha! You're referring to those slightly unhinged left-wingers, right? I've come across some slightly unhinged right-wingers as well. That makes two lots to deprogramme. lol

Looks like everyone is about in agreement.

I have no problem with people having different political views as I do. So long as they're actually political views, and not parroted talking points from one news source or another, be it either side of the isle.

I think the founders of the US had it right when they decided to make the ruling body of the nation be formed of different backgrounds, views and opinions on matters, so long as the debate and reason were enshrined as they should be.

From classical liberal to leftist, everyone on the left are welcome here, unless you would like create an ideological blindspot in your own thinking. Plus I think it would be interesting if we could have open, honest, and ideally polite and honest dialogue with everybody.

Besides, it would be cowardly to chastise a set of ideas without having an adequate representative of those ideas here to defend them.

I would like to have more "left wingers" participate.

I find myself scrolling through posts and passing over many of the typical "right winger" topics simply because I have read or discussed many of them at nauseam on other even more conservative sites then this one.

I don't think, however, that there needs to be changes to the name or any other area of the site to cater more to "left wingers". I think we should be true to who we are, which is a forum based on the principles of the IDW.

Did not vote as I don't feel any of the statements apply to my feelings. Honestly, when I joined, I did not think of the political orientation of the site. Seemed like it was a site that welcomed free speech..but that encouraged reason. I have reasonable liberal and conservative friends. I would like to believe that both would be welcome here.

I'm an independent politically, and a couple of years ago I would have sworn I have reasonable liberal and conservative friends. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have actual conversations with reasonable people on the left. My experience is that worldview has shifted so drastically nobody is left standing (that pun wasn't intended, but I'm leaving it). Unchecked emotion has become so prevalent and, in fact, celebrated on the left, I can't get any of them to engage in a civil conversation without their pets weaponized political correctness and identity politics. Very disheartening. Sensible conversation is still there to be had, but I have literally found nobody willing to have it. I've spent the last couple of years on a college campus, so there's that. Anyway, I'm not trying to start anything or trying to be divisive. This is literally my experience. My guess is most liberals would self-sort themselves out of a community like this--to everyone's detriment (and theirs).

I wouldn’t like to see more. You can see the left everywhere. But for me all are welcome as long as it remains respectable and not constant trolling

Thank you for your honesty @Byoung1. Personally I don’t really share your view that the left is everywhere. Hopefully we’ll have the opportunity to discuss that some time.

@InternetDorkWeb I was left most of my adult life. I walked away 3-4 years ago. I’d say I’m center right now.

I think more civil left wingers should be here. But, I doubt that will happen because, in my experience, many left wingers cannot discuss topics without taking it personally and then lashing out because they get their feelings hurt.

Facts don’t care about your feelings, as I often tell conservatives.

@InternetDorkWeb Ben Shapiro created a throw away account that pretends to be liberal.

@plebeian_lobster I’m not particularly impressed by Ben Shapiro to tell you the truth. He’s charismatic and good at thinking on his feet, but he lacks substance. But that’s a discussion for another time and place.

@InternetDorkWeb Yeah, I was just commenting on how you used the line he often uses about facts not caring about feelings.

Do you think that your basic premise that Lefties cannot be civil could inform the types of discussion you have?

@DLearn I never said that all leftists (or even most leftists) cannot be civil nor is that a reasonable implication of what I posted. I said that, based on my own personal experiences, many on the left cannot help but be uncivil while discussing certain controversial topics. I don't think I am alone in that experience. I acknowledge that this is based entirely on anecdotes. My whole point is that I would like more leftists on here.

@plebeian_lobster I am happy to hear that. I was not really calling you out in particular, but just people on the right in general. I see so many people start out with a statement that clearly puts someone on the left on the defense immediately, and then they wonder why the conversation devolves. Even on this site and in this thread in particular, I see statements that are NO DIFFERENT to a person who leans left, than "I hate Trump" sounds to a person who leans right.

I have only been a member for a little over a week, and quite honestly I have been really disappointed in a lot of the discussion that is inflammatory and geared towards right wing navel gazing. I thought the whole idea of the IDW was intellectually honest discussion. Heck, most of the "members" of the IDW are left wing, and here we have a thread asking if we should even allow Lefties to talk. It just doesn't sit right with me.

It will only be short conversations anyways before they fly off into a rage .

I encourage you to look through my posts and you will find that’s not always the case.

Having said that though I think that it’s a valid concern. Discussions with people you don’t have much in common with can be taxing.

@InternetDorkWeb I think left-wingers do tend to think that disagreements are taxing. I think they get very emotionally wrapped up in their arguments that it literally drains them physically. (This is purely based on personal experience.)

@plebeian_lobster I think you find that’s probably due to sampling error and personal biases.

You are probably more likely to strongly disagree with left leaning people than right leaning people due to your political views, hence the sampling error.

There’s also the question of you as a person. Perhaps you are particularly stubborn or have some other qualities that mean you will endure an argument longer than others will.

I could report similar things about people on the right for example, but I find the idea that political views reflect differences in personalities suspect.

@InternetDorkWeb Perhaps. I will look into whether political ideology is a reflection of personality. That sounds like something that would have been investigated by now. I would not at all be surprised if it were. Politics is largely a reflection of one's values, which seem closely tied to personality.

@plebeian_lobster In some ways you are right, and there have been studies into links between personality and political ideology (I believe conservatives are more likely to be fearful than liberals are?)... but I don’t think this is likely to be one of those times. Not least because being “emotionally invested” in something is difficult to quantify.

@InternetDorkWeb I wouldn't be surprised if leftists tend to be bigger babies than folks on the right. They also tend to be a bit more self-righteous, which is shocking given that they also tend to be far more secularist.

@plebeian_lobster Again my experience is overwhelmingly in the reverse, but I don’t think this is going to encourage positive discussion from either side.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:25820
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.