slug.com slug.com

83 4

What is everyone's opinion on the word "Retard"

Something I am noticing in the culture is the repetition of the phrase, "you can't say that anymore". I don't necessarily think evolving the language to a more sensitive state is a good thing. So I'd like to know that what you guys think about a word, that I used to use to add dynamism and mild shock to mt speech for the sake of humour.

• 63 votes
  • 29 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 85 votes
Marcus_Aurelius 7 Mar 14

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

83 comments (76 - 83)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Retard is an actual word but having several meanings. It always depend on the context...If I working in a mine and I ask my employee to retard the explosion... Limiting the words you should use seems to look like 1984 to me. Just watch out which words you use depending of the context and you will be fine.

I agree, I use to retard the time of an engine, and GAY was used to describe HAPPY. ETC.

@Serg97 and Fag was a British smoke...

Of course it's okay to use that word or any word you want..it is your right. However if you are a thinking person you should know what the exercise of that right may mean ref to a societal or legal response. If you are prepared to face the repercussions and intelligently argue your point in response all power to you. In this age when the acceptability of speech, history, changes day to day I find it better to have a strong set of core values and beliefs that remain constant.

It's just a word. Example "The exorbitant cost of tools would severely retard my ability to open a garage and go into business." What's wrong with that? Nothing. However if you said this: " Don't pay any attention to Billy, he's a retard!" Well, that would be a bad way to use it.

Its annoying having the final option in regarding "Bucko" because that meanst that the vast majority of votes aren't serious and this should be a serious topic.

It was a bit tongue in cheek, but so was the "hate speech is not free speech" option. I'm sure most people who chose that option agree with the sentiment of it. In addition, most people in the comment section are expressing their ideas seriously, and you can tell from there what people more accurately think, which is more in depth, and more precise than the range of options that are provided.

The term "retarded" directly at a person is a poor insult. Come up with better.

Saying an idea or an action is retarded, ok, if it really is.

I have a bit of a hard time with this one as I am the legal guardian of my brother-in-law who is mentally retarded (IQ 50, mental age 10ish) but I've heard him call things stupid, so there's that...

While I don't find it in my vocabulary, I do understand free speech and won't stop you from it, but I might call you on it anyway. Now you know why.

It is a bad word in the sense that it means stupid or mentally challenged - so it is cruel to those who are. And this word went out about 30 years ago and for some reason making a comeback.

Funny. The PRIMARY definition does not support what you are saying here.

@Mkschuette there is a difference between common usage and dictionary meaning - consider how douche bag is now used - to describe a despicable person - when it is a cleansing device for a vagina - usage and intent vs true meaning.

It is far too useful an imprecation to surrender. It occupies that vast intellectual space between ignorant irrationality and mental deficiency that both the left and the extreme lunatic right hold in common.

Who is it directed at ?

When I say it, it is never in the context of calling a mentally disabled person a retard, though they are technically mentally retarded. I usually call an abstract idea retarted, or I call friends retarted. The way I use the word is basically used to call people dumb, and that is how it is normally interpreted.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:22725
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.