slug.com slug.com
40 11

Can trans activism and feminism truly co-exist? Where is the happy medium?

??

• 45 votes
  • 38 votes
ariellescarcella 7 July 14
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

40 comments (26 - 40)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The happy medium, is girls. Isn't it clearly to see, that all things living in this world they all can reasonably understand what is female, that right there should mean that there shouldn't be any walls between the two just because of that, if trans people believe the same thing about who they are as real girls do, then I can't see why there is so much confrontation over this matter here. At this point it's just turned into basically the same exact thing that girls just got out of with men over the years, it's all nothing but a who says and who's right kind of thing, which it shouldn't be, if trans people have such a bad viewing of just how females really are, then don't be complaining about it to the said females you'd have a problem with just because you are trans and think women who are actually women would believe something different;y than you do, it's just that simple. It's like not even an issue to me at all even, I really can't possibly see why that trans people and femminists couldn't simply just get along, that just doesn't make any sense to me. Case and point, women are okay with being women, they have to be, they're fucking femminists, why should that matter to trans people?

I'm voting a reluctant yes, because this depends so much on the activism around trans issues. There are transsexual women (surgery + assimilation) who are feminists because of oppression they've either experienced or witnessed. There is advocacy work they can do without stomping on female boundaries. Similarly, it's possible in theory for transgender activists to do similar work (only more of it, with a deeper involvement) while honoring female boundaries. I've been in dialog with a small number of these people. In general, though, as I look at transactivism, I see attacks on boundaries (and individual women) and a philosophy of all affirmation all the time. So, in practice, I'm doubtful. But open-minded.

In the sense that we can quite easily just stick to our own lanes and not infiltrate each other's causes... yes, we can co-exist.

Trans activism doesn't have a concrete goal. And as long as part of any of their goals involves pushing for it to be okay to allow to be persuaded or guided towards something they neither understand at the abstract level, nor have the ability to fully grasp the consequences.

Trans activism as it is now is counter to a feminist stand point.

No. Nobody likes hearing this, but there isn't always a middle ground. Can women and trans women co-exist? Yep, totally. But if you think about it, while in most cases both sides want the same thing, when it comes down to -based protections/policies/rights, it has to exclude trans women. Because these -based rights are about females, and I'm sorry but if women are caving in to give over rights because of someone who's biologically male, then they're taking feminism back 30 years.

Plus where are the trans women in countries where women are second class citizens?

As long as self-ID is a thing, no.

Human rights are human rights. And I love human rights, for all humans.

But feminism is about female issues. You cannot solve female issues, if "female" is a dirty word that must not be spoken and "woman" means anyone and everyone who claims they're not a man.

We cannot pretend that predatory males no longer exist, just because genuine transwomen exist. They both exist, and predators far outnumber trans people. That's not a secret - anyone in their right mind understands that there's a small (not less important than bigger groups! but small) group of trans people. Anyone in their right mind understands that predators are much easier to come across, they're just a much bigger group.

It baffles me that there's such a huge of people who conveniently forget this, and pretend that predators would never do such a thing as speak a few words in order to get access to their preferred victims. As if predators are known to be such good people... Predators are known to even build their entire careers around the type of victims they like to target - it's really no surprise that if you rewrite all the rules to make sure a trans prefix absolves any male from any harm they might cause, that you're almost actively incentivising predators to join the club. It's never been easier.

The activist movement has effectively been taken over by them, it feels like. Perhaps not even in numbers, but behind the scenes? It's hard to tell, only hear the loudest screamers.But the cult-like practices keep even genuine, good-hearted trans people away from facing basic truths.

You shall not dissent, or you will be ex-communicated.
You would lose the community that was so supportive of you - at first. That's terrifying.

But reality still exists.

If you brutalize someone, they might seek to avoid you in the future. If they leave to seek safety and you then follow them and tell them how evil they are for not wanting to put themselves in a situation that has proven dangerous to them, that's called manipulative and abusive. It's literal victim shaming.
However, when it's in context it's genuinely accepted that hordes of males can not only brutalize females, but once those females eek out a safe corner for themselves the males are allowed to follow them right there and then blame the females for excluding them. As long as they speak the magic words "I, too, am a woman".

Yet when we look at females having their clits cut off, no magic words will let them opt-out of that. Speaking the words "I, too, am a man" does not give females the right to divorce a male that they have been bestowed on without their consent, even if they are beaten to a pulp on daily basis.

It is funny how female women's feelings still come second to male women's feelings.
That it's okay to take away female women's safety precautions, because that would work out better for male women. Yet they tell me there is literally no difference and that it does not make them misogynistic, it just makes me transphobic.

There are trans people who would be trans even on a deserted island, even if they were the last person on earth - because they genuinely feel gender dysphoria. They don't have ulterior motives, they don't do it for TikTok, their main goal in life isn't to intrude on women or to prey on them. They take entire years out of their life to shape themselves in a way that makes them more comfortable with themselves. They in and pain and much more to achieve it. And not to be in the spotlight and have receive constant validation, but only to be "just a girl" in this world, an average woman like most biological women are as well. They want a normal life, just not a normal life as a man but as a woman. I have yet to meet a single person who thinks that they don't deserve to be safe, or that they don't deserve human rights, etc. And I know they didn't go through all that, only to be put into the same category as the masses of unsavory people who now tagged along, using them as a human shield. The massive groups of people who want to be trans for much different reasons.

As long as modern trans activism includes, protects and willingly accommodates male predators, as long as they claim to be trans, it cannot mesh with feminism. The entire idea that females are permitted female rights only if males agree with them is obviously completely backwards. Females fought for their rights, to be safe. I do not think dissipating those right helps females, or women of any kind. It's a step back, not a step forward.

Who knows, maybe there will be a wave of Radical Trans Activism.

To even find a happy medium, I think we need acknowledge females and their struggles, acknowledge transwomen and their struggles, and then work to keep them safe and happy in ways that are appropriate to each of them, mindful of both the similarities ánd the differences. Not to only support one at the expense of the other. One cookie cutter solution will not accomodate both.

It's a false dilemma that one must sacrifice theirs for the other, I really believe we cán have both. But predators will fight nail and tooth to make everyone think you're either for or against, and that it's all black and white. It's not.

Women's spaces should have the right to police who comes in - and hopefully would do so with love and compassion. That includes not letting in males who have only just put on pink nail polish for the day, because that makes women unsafe. Both transwomen and biological women.
Female-only spaces should have the right to police who comes in, too. Males do not need see the reason in this and they do not need to agree, females should not need their permission to do so or be forced to set out an elaborate justification for their approval, to be sent notarized and in threefold to their offices. Especially when it's becoming increasingly easy to see that thát discussion is not being taken on in good faith, with how rapidly large swathes of people are forgetting why female rights came to be in the first place.

In the end it's women who suffer from predatory men. That's incredibly sad.
And I mean both transwomen and biological women.
Self-ID makes all women less safe.

Disclaimer: In my (current) opinion.

This screenshot is from my stories discussing Joe Rogan’s podcast with Abigail Shrier. I’m @lunestudio on IG

More thoughts

Yes, when there is a more concrete definition of , and terms. Masculine and feminine, different from male and female, which is also different from man and woman yet these terms are used synonymously . Bucks are male deer, fawn are female..... biological is surrounded by us and the point of it is for reproducing, like every other living thing, i have a trans friend who was born female, so he has his ovaries still, but he was born with complications with them and the testosterone makes it worse. If he goes to the er he has to say he was born female so the people who can help him know what to do quicker and more efficiently. Young trans people need to see signs for themselves..... that doesnt happen when man and woman mean voidless beings

Maybe, because it depends on what trans activism and faminism can live with or without.

I think we could once the fog of confusion lifts from the minds of those who've been sold bad science, and we all can agree on at least what a biological woman is and isn't. As well as what she has in common with Trans-women, and what she doesn't.

Heck, I'll settle for a consensus on what being Trans actually means. As a 42yr old, I tend to think that it means to transition from one sex to another... Blair fits my expectations of what a Trans woman is. As well as Kalvin fitting them as a Trans man.

My cousin is a Trans man, without bottom surgery. I call him by his name, which since I'm family - isn't the only one I've known. He's extremely happy, married and has himself a lovely family. I can't imagine him growing up (he's my age) in this timeline.

Things were simpler in my day. lol

wribit Level 3 July 20, 2020

I think that one can be a rational advocate for both but if one party sways to the extreme left then they cannot coexist

I agree, I don't believe an extreme can exist among 'others', and two extremes just end up killing each-other off. Kinda like two male Beta fish in one bowl.

I voted yes. Don't look at the radical extremists on both ends who are shouting the loudest. Look to the real folks, who are reasonable and thoughtful. The internet is not a real representation of humans and how people with differing opinions can and DO get along in real life.

Of COURSE we can coexist. All it takes is people willing to listen to each other.

Question: how can we make the internet more reflective of the rest of us who can have good conversations?

Honestly I'm thinking we need to start a movement or something...

@WhatIsGoingOn I think that the two major contributing factors (in my opinion) are not fixable:

1. Anonymity
  2. The ability to block or ignore anyone you don't like

In an office, for example, you have to be polite and try to get along with people around you because there are consequences for your actions. Anonymity removes all consequences. Also, in my office, if I don't like someone, that's too bad. I have to work with them anyway. So, I had better make an effort to get along.

@RavenMStark

I like your observations. Unfortunately I disagree with you on some parts.

Your point about an office space being more safe is unfortunately being shredded right now due to cancel culture. Bari Weiss is a great example of someone who was recently in the press who held different views at work - and whose job it was to write about those different views - and she was alienated out of her job because she disagreed. The idea that office bullying doesn't exist is a huge fallacy - especially with the rise of woke culture. Weiss is a high profile case, but there are every day people caught up in this.

For some reason this also brought to mind an episode done a couple of weeks ago on a podcast called Blocked and Reported. It featured a woman who had gone through Robin D'Angelo's anti-racist training at her place of work, and she describes a couple of instances where people in the room were obviously very uncomfortable with the ideology being thrown around, but couldn't say anything because they would get in trouble or called a racist. Worth listening to if you are into hearing about those experiences.

In a better world things would be exactly as you described: you go to work, you put your head down and get your job done, and you don't try to alienate anybody or press upon them your political or social positions. Unfortunately we are not that world anymore 😟

@WhatIsGoingOn I have not heard of Bari Weiss. I have also not heard of Robin D'Angelo. (Do you have a link to the podcast you mentioned? I'd love to listen!) But I can make a general response, based on what I think is the point of your comments. I think you're saying that in an office environment, people may not express their opinions for fear of being punished or excluded.

I suppose the office is not really an ideal example of people talking openly and listening to each other. You're right... a lot of the time, people put their heads down and keep their mouths shut to avoid conflict. In my opinion, that's not always a bad thing and it does help us coexist in a fashion. I do think that it's not always relevant or important to bring up/fight over your differing ideas. I still stand by my opinion that it IS one way to coexist. It's one way to make peace between differing parties.

A better example of talking/listening openly would be my telephone conversations with my grandpa. He is a major Trump supporter and I am not. What works for us is to assume the best of each other (easy, since we're blood and we love each other) and to ask lots of questions and take turns. We coexist and openly share opinions quite easily.

Whereas, I know some extreme leftists who, if they were me, might disown my grandpa for his political opinions. I find it VERY SAD that some people care so much about politics that they are cutting off their own families!

I think Slug is getting close to that "conversations with grandpa" kind of vibe. People here are largely respectful and curious, I find. But that's not going to be the rest of the internet. The intrenet is where people go to yell.

@RavenMStark I think you and I should launch a podcast called "Conversations with Grandpa" and further be part of a community that supports these kinds of complicated conversations! 🤣 That legitimately is fun title and/or term that you've said!
You've got a piece of gold there!

Circling back to the original point, I agree with a lot of your observations overall. I can honestly say it is my progressive friends that scream and yell at me to unfriend any Trump supporters or conservatives. on the other hand Trump supporters and conservative friends have never tried to encourage to cut people out or even discourage me from partaking and more progressive forms of protest, etc.

Yes, I was saying that people aren't speaking out because they are afraid of being punished, but also that they are currently being punished. I completely agree with you that a workplace should be somewhere you go to do your job and keep your head down and get your stuff done. I can't stress enough that I am 100% right there with you! My point was that it isn't that way anymore, offices are getting filled up with politics if not on a literal level discussing it by the water cooler then on trainings and gossip.

I'm also glad that a place like slug can help support these conversations. Although sometimes it makes me sad that it's so hard to find them in real life. I feel like I'm stuck between two complete polar opposite groups of people who are both filled with absolute hypocrites and neither is willing to concede to any rational points or conversations. 😱

Let me know if you ever got a chance to listen to the podcast. It's pretty darn good!

@WhatIsGoingOn I just found the podcast and listened to it! Turns out I actually had heard of Robin D'Angelo... I just hadn't memorized the name. I had a major SJW friend who was very into "White Fragility," had read this book, and was trying to "educate" me. I'm sure I'll remember that name next time I hear it. Ugh.

Can I just say... WOW. What a story. You made a good point to bring that up. That's not exactly what I had in mind when I brought up the office as a "coexisting" kind of place, haha! No, I would not say that heavy diversity training like that is a positive thing. I more meant the office as a place where people of different backgrounds and beliefs work to achieve common goals. And the beliefs we have don't matter. What matters is work ethic and skills, etc.

No, let them both destroy each other, they're both based on lies: women are not systemically oppressed and your biology does not change based on how you feel on the inside.

zlane42 Level 4 July 16, 2020

For the record, not all forms of feminism claim that women are "systemically oppressed", or that all women are in a worse position than men. The most sane forms feminism are about fighting for women's rights. As in, addressing problems that only affect women (birth control, abortion rights, FGM, sexual violence, etc...)

How is based on lies when gender dysphoria is a real disorder

@JaniceCole I said the idea that your are de facto what you feel like you are on the inside is a lie. Your biology does not change based on what you feel like you are on the inside, nor is biology and what you feel like you are on the inside independent of one another, and if they are, it is a mental disorder.

@jjjjo0o0ojjjj I look forward to those sane forms ousting the insane forms and bringing to light just how insane they are, but those are demons of feminism's own making. I think the trans activism is a demon of feminism's own making but I won't discuss it because it is up for debate in my own mind, so I'm not decided. And until women can reproduce asexually, I disagree with the notion that birth control and abortion only affect women. In that regard, our culture, mainly men, have failed women. I hold both parties equally responsible. As far as sexual violence, that is not a uniquely women's issue, but because of the fact of biological differences between men and women, both physical and mental, women are affected disproportionately. And so because of that I will apply the same argument: culture, mainly men, have failed women, but also culture has failed men in teaching them how a man should behave. That's not to suggest, and I'm not suggesting that you are suggesting it, that masculinity in and of itself is toxic.

@zlane42 can't have gender dysphoria if I was cis

@zlane42 Hey thanks for the feedback. You made some good points. I should have said "predominately affect women" instead of "only affect women". Cuz all of those issues affect men too, just to a significantly smaller degree. Except for FGM, which is exclusively a women's issue.

No. Intolerance of all kinds is getting worse. Having the audacity to question the orthodoxy about anything is treated as if you just went into someone house and took a dump on the kitchen table. What I see now in trans activism is the kind of abusive jackassery that has been directed at JK Rowling, for example, and Arielle.

I have had "friends" flip their shit on me because I pointed out serious flaws in the general views of crime and bias, and how most of the folks who do really bad stuff are very much the same, but for their skin color. (Poor, badly parented, and mostly really damaged by the age of 5 or so - most of the development of a person is well set by then; long before they encounter the system.) And try to convey the vile nature of stuff that bad folks do (yay, women are catching up to men, isn't that grand?) to others is hard for nice folks to believe.

Doesn't matter the topic - if you are not sticking to the script of the lunatic fringe, you are a bad person and will be "cancelled". Screw that.

should be a 3rd choice -"don't care"

so called 3rd wave feminism is an obviously hypocritcal bunch of socialists masquerading as advocating for women everywhere - which they obviously do not

trans-activism...not sure how they carry out their mission but I don't think they are very helpful to the gay/homosexual sub-culture in general.

Whatever squabbling there might be between the two groups has little or no impact on anyone but themselves....like a cat fight in the middle school cafeteria.

iThink Level 9 July 14, 2020
Write Comment

Recent Visitors 172

Photos 45 More

Posted by fthemediaI noticed with people who want to be the opposite sex as a trend or way of escape are mostly young girls aged 13-16, gay women with internalized homophobia, gay men with internalized homophobia, ...

Posted by fthemediaIs is horrible and sad that we live in a day and age where mental disorders are trendy and being a majority is demonized by the far left.

Posted by fthemediaThis 100% many don't and just want to share there story

Posted by fthemediaIt's like we are living in a irl cringe comp.

Posted by fthemediaWelcome to incel central. Free ignorance!

Posted by TheHerrDarkThat sounds about right

Posted by Caseyxsharp2I don't know what happened to the comments that I was making before on my other post.

Posted by Caseyxsharp2I don't know what happened to the comments that I was making before on my other post.

Posted by NaomiShould there be legal restrictions on trans athletes competing in schools?

Posted by Naomi"Super Bi", “Super Gay”, “Super Lesbian”... So, is there anything wrong with "Super Straight"? Are you offended by the term?

Posted by ariellescarcellaHow do we feel about this? "Men and the rest" Why do men get the "safe space" toilet when they are not the ones who generally at risk?

Posted by AtitayaWoah. This is beyond madness. 😂😂 “There’s a lot to unpack here.”

Posted by TheHerrDarkSince you are an expert, Doesn't this ad look like a woman taking her top off? Did the Oculus design and marketing team really go there?

Posted by TheHerrDarkRemember when the leftist said Trump would shake Hitler's hand?

Posted by ariellescarcellaMen in dresses. Good, bad? Who cares?

• Top tags#video #world #sex #reason #gender #community #lesbian #media #videos #hope #gay #society #youtube #friends #kids #rights #culture #Identity #LGBT #children #god #money #government #hell #conservative #truth #politics #Police #liberal #transgender #sexuality #Canada #biden #democrats #TheTruth #book #vote #progressive #Orientation #racist #Socialmedia #created #birth #feminism #fear #evil #mother #guns #lgbtq #death ...

Members 2,802Top