slug.com slug.com
33 7

When is inequality just and fair? When is it not?

The core question of our time is handling inequality. Inequality of outcomes is used by Progressives today as proof that the system or its members are unfair. Many Conservatives maintain that so long as people have equal access to opportunity, the resulting differences in outcomes are fair. Is there a way other than using pitchforks to know who's right?

Admin 8 July 11
You must be a member of this group before commenting. Join Group

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We are all individuals who are entitled to equal treatment under the law, and should not be constrained by laws that do not respect our rights as unique individuals. We are not entitled to equality of outcome. We all possess different strengths and weaknesses. Our will to utilize them both the best outcome varies from one individual to another. Any time an alleged well meaning interventionist places their thumb on the scales for any reason it's wrong. When someone does intervene in a manner that infringes the equal legal treatment any other individual, they alone should pay the price of correcting it.

Sadly, the sovereign individual is the most maligned minority in the USA. Both major political parties have seen to that.

You'd assume that commonsense would have everyone arriving at the same answer. Some people start closer to the finish line than others but it isn't something that's unique to human beings. We observe "inequality" in nature all the time and yet we usually allow nature to take its course because we know better than to interfere.

If an unfair system is the reason for inequality of outcome then we may as well put an end to competitive sports or just give everyone a gold medal before the game starts, then we can all go home because the results don't matter since everyone's a winner. Because if all things are equal then surely that means all competitive athletes should win every game they participate in. Then we can rename competitive spots to "Show up and get a gold medal".

It's easier for some people to believe that they haven't achieved their dreams because someone else is stopping them than it is to do some self-reflecting or practice self-accountability because the latter requires a lot of thinking and admitting your own failings. Which no one likes to do but is necessary in order to grow and achieve the things we want out of life.

So I don't think inequality of outcome is fair or unfair, it is just a natural and unavoidable part of life.

Lilu Level 5 July 22, 2020

We know that wealth follows a power law distribution which gives us the 80-20 rule: 20% of the people will own 80% of the wealth. The 80-20 rule keeps appying no matter how far down you go. That's the amount of inequality you want.

When you cause inequality by importing millions and millions of the 3rd world for 50 years means you don't get to complain. The US is now a 3rd/1st world country.

We are all BORN equal, but we should not expect to be treated equal in every aspect of life. That is boring, and is not feasible. For example, two babies are born at the same hospital. One is born with the ability to see, the other is born blind. They are equally valued by their parents, but are not equal in the way they see the world. No amount of "wokeness" will make them equal in that aspect. On the other side of town, two teenagers graduate from the same high school. One studied hard and got into a great college, the other goofed off, rarely attended school and only graduated because the public school needed to meet its graduation quota. They had an equal opportunity to learn, and an equal opportunity to apply themselves. Yet, they are not equal. One is an achiever, the other is not.

Equality is impossible. It’s as simple as that. No one person is exactly the same as another. That includes no one group of people is equal either. The only way you can make people “equal” is to control them. And it’s like, you group A you do less, stop doing so well. Here’s a few barriers that will hinder your success. You group B here’s some freebies to get you ahead. Even when you don’t measure up we’ll make sure you get there. The thing to observe here is that there is no way you can have a free society if you have equality.

You can and should have equality under the law but that’s the limit. Anything above that and you get into tyranny, which is where we are.

I see it this way. Something like affirmative action in regards to equal opportunities means there is nothing wrong with educational scholarships for poor, lower class students. That by itself, satisfies the definition of equal opportunity and that's fine. Applying affirmative action to the workforce would be in the interest of equal outcomes -not equal opportunity. The former allows those who truly are less fortunate to overcome those hurdles so they can succeed but the latter is problematic because it assumes those less fortunate will never succeed on their own, so instead they are handed things based on their assumed grievances rather than their qualifications. This creates issues in society where many incompetent people hold important jobs where they will likely fuck up -and their many fuck ups will probably cause more racial tensions among those who continue to witness and fall victim to those fuck ups.

(I had this exact conversation with my far-left sister who is a math PhD. She called me an idiot for not being completely on the "equal outcome bandwagon". I called her a disgrace to the STEM community for her biased viewpoints and lack of objective, critical thought.)

I used to think that I was for equality of opportunity, but then why would my parents have spent their lives saving up for my college fund if not to help me have more opportunity?

Why would anyone try to raise their children well or give them an especially good education if not to give them a leg up in society.

I am for equality of opportunity in the face of law, but not complete equality of opportunity. Is that punishing children for having "bad" parents? Maybe, but I think it's closer to say that children are lucky to have "good" parents.

Jwine Level 6 July 12, 2020

Pick one: just or fair not both. Inequality is just because ever body is different. Inequality is not fair if some are considered special and receive special treatment. To me ever body is different but no one is special.

Don't pick one: neither Conservative nor Progressive. These are manipulative terms used to manufacture and aggregate consent. They describe collectives. The most useful analysis occurs when you realize it is the individual vs the collective and not the Conservative collective vs the Progressive collective.

Want to buy some pitchforks?

sub0 Level 4 July 11, 2020

I grew up using pitchforks for hay... never thought they'd might be wanted for people 😮

Write Comment

Recent Visitors 166

Photos 127 More

Posted by Admin Does teaching "white guilt" also cultivate a "white pride" backlash?

Posted by Admin Is it time to take a knee on the Superbowl?

Posted by Admin Why not equality right now?

Posted by Admin How's Biden doing?

Posted by Admin How many good friends do you have from other political tribes?

Posted by Admin What did Trump do, if anything, to incite violence?

Posted by Admin Is free speech dead?

Posted by Admin Under what time and circumstance is the use of violence warranted?

Posted by Admin Now what?

Posted by Admin What do you expect to be achieved by this week's pro-Trump DC rally?

Posted by Admin What did you learn in 2020?

Posted by Admin Should pedophiles be allowed to have "child" sex robots?

Posted by Admin Do you have a "line in the sand" regarding political or social change?

Posted by Admin Should big tech firms hire more Blacks and Hispanics?

• Top tags#video #media #racist #world #biden #truth #government #liberal #racism #democrats #conservatives #society #politics #community #youtube #justice #IDW #hope #friends #videos #Identity #FreeSpeech #Google #book #policy #vote #Police #conservative #evidence #culture #violence #reason #economic #USA #liberals #tech #Socialmedia #money #god #guns #gender #whites #campaign #population #laws #religion #TheTruth #equality #democrat #Christian ...

Members 9,848Top