slug.com slug.com

1181 378

Let us know your ideas on how to improve this new site!

As we just launched this site, we're still adding features and ramping up promotion. Let us know what you'd like to see here and we'll make it so! Our goal is to help facilitate not only the exchange of ideas but to help consolidate a clear message on important topics.

Also, please give us your thoughts on how we should best position this site so as to live up to the ideals of the IDW movement.

Thanks so much!

Admin 8 Feb 14

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

1181 comments (1126 - 1150)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Common sense has long been lost to the political correct SJW's. I have 2 children and frankly I am scared at the direction we are going. Our freedoms are being taken away and people don't even realize it.

The metaphor of a frog in a slowly heating pot is apt here. We are engaged in a battle for freedom in an increasingly divisive and stressed world.

What are the ideals of the IDW movement?

Now that the basics of the website are live (e.g., forums, groups, events, profiles, etc), we want to help clarify and educate members on the ideals of the IDW movement. I believe that it's a fight for truth over thought oppression, debate for progress instead of winning without consensus, and civility over hate. We are working now to better organize these thoughts within this community and to produce a clear manifesto for the movement. This will be an ongoing living document as we solicit input from members and other IDW celebrities.

One of the intake questions asks if You are a SJW, and I selected maybe because it depends on the definition used. I believe that a society must be allowed to flourish by means of social blending versus social divisiveness, and doing our best to be inclusive, to a point. A community/country is created by a group of like minded individuals with rules and regulations to provide order and to prevent major changes to the “norm” that the founders created. When points are presented that point out flaws in the system (slavery, voting rights, equality of opportunity) then obviously changes have to be made. But if another group who has their own philosophy and agenda comes forward trying to change the “norm”, with ideas that are not supported by the dictates of the original community, and are not in the best interest of the community as a whole, then in those situations I would consider myself a SJW in that I will endeavor to prevent undo and unjust changes to our society.

I agree that the term "Social Justice Warrior" can denote both good and bad depending on context and timing. Today, we use it as a catch all term for the promotion of a Leftist agenda without the use of facts, reason or civility. "Justice" unfortunately is too often defined in the post modern sense - that is, used as a tool for impact regardless of truth.

My activation email hasn’t arrived. Must be close to 10 mins since i signed up.

Great idea btw.

Can you check your spam folder for the email? If you don't see it there, please send me a private message from my profile page and I'll investigate more. Thanks!

Also, have a timestamp on the browse section so we can see how recent people's posts are when we scroll through. First glance looks promising though!

Thanks, we hide the dates of posts in the "3 line" options button as we want to encourage timeless discussions. Will think more about it.

I would also remove the socal points system, it's a bit 1984 and most idw fans will be turned off by it.

99.9% of big social sites (twitter, facebook, google) track and save every thing you do... but they don't tell you. We show you what we know AND give you points and credit for it. With the new coin function, the points are worth real value and give you the power instead of big brother. Better than 1984 here, perhaps?

You’re already infested with trolls and far right recruiters. You should probably do something about it, but I know you won’t.

If you see content that is uncivil, let use know by flagging it. We are hoping that extremist and unsubstantiated views from either side fall on deaf ears and that is a deterrent to abuse. So far, the vast majority of comments (i.e., 99+%0 are within our community guidelines.

I'd love to see you hire me to work on the site. 🙂

Sure! Send me a private message on what you'd like to do to help.

Thank you for this site I would say make it easier navigate add state sites so people can discuss where they live and what is going on in those states. That the news agencies don't in national news.

Good ideas! You can add a group for your state/region once you reach level 4.

Can we talk about how everyone calls Michael Jackson a pedophile, without any objective evidence? He's never been convicted, but yet he's called a monster pedo by people like Ben Shapiro.
Mr. Facts don't care about your feelings, himself.

How about make a post about it?

When I saw Shapiro was religious I realised that his statement was correct but he didn't bother to listen to it! Cognitive dissonance is a fiddly

@Thetruepianoman, I'm a little confused by your reply.
Are you saying that Ben Shapiro was correct in calling Michael Jackson a pedophile? Please explain

@CriticalCommoner No, I was saying when I realised he was religious, I realised he had not applied his statement ' facts don't care about your feelings' to his own belief, showing cognitive dissonance. This means his statements may have logical worth but his worldview may not

@Thetruepianoman Agreed

Make it look more like FB

Our first goal was to get the site working. Yep, it's 100% custom. Once the feature set settles down, we can adjust the look. Hopefully, the form of the website will be optimized to match it's goals - one of which is to introduce members and ideas with each others. Thanks!

Just interested in the methods of your embryonic site. Looks intriguing & happy to be a part of something positive and enlightening.

Thanks! Yes, you will see new things here almost daily as we're having fun coding while growing. You can help define the direction!

Add one of these:

[w3.org]

Ha, yah! Totally forgot that... will put it up tomorrow. Thanks! 🙂

It would be better for color blind ppl to be able to change to the colors that they are able to see better

I first learned about color blindness when I had page where some things were highlighted with red or green and a custom service employee couldn't see a difference. We are currently working on 8 difference color schemes for the site. Are there specific pages that are problematic or colors you see better?

@Admin i would suggest light blue and black lettering

So far things seem very easy to navigate and the functionality of the site is appealing. For example the answers to my questions are saved automatically. Verification emails were sent instantaneously. I don't have the creator'a vision for this platform in mind so I can't attest to how well this platform is performing in that context. However, I would love to be available to help improve this platform in any way I can. Feel free to contact any time.

Thanks for the feedback! Feel free to send me a private message (from my profile page) any suggestions or simply make a post in the "Site" category!

Just heard about this site. When did it start and does it censor members?

We started about 12 days ago and just ramping up promotions and outreach. We have guidelines for civility (see [slug.com] for details) which so far almost everyone is abiding. Thanks for asking 🙂

Thank you for this forum. I look forward to investigating the site.
A bit about my political thinking: I was raised by very conservative parents. One was a republican and one a Democrat. Today neither parent would touch either party with a ten foot pole. Today running for office looks like running for student council, the more ridiculous your campaign promise the greater it’s appeal. The education system seems intent on producing unprepared citizens who give their self governance the importance of a game show or sporting event.
Socially I’m fairly liberal but I see a huge difference between being at home and being in public.

You might like a book "Prius or Pickup?" which discusses how personal things have become politically as people identify more with issues. An opposing viewpoint is now taken personally.

As 99% of PC screens are the wide format, you could tile posts to fit rather than have wasted bands down either side, ths allowing current subject matter to be readily viewed, so we can easily so what's going on.

We could widen the post width but at some point it would be harder to read. Will keep an eye on it. Do you have a big screen? Thanks!

@Admin Nothing special 24". The fastest way to develop a good interface, apart from good algorithms, is to copy what your competitors are doing. They've done all the hard work, and tweaking over the years, so nick it. But I do like what I'm seeing overall, I'm navigating easily, intuitively. Colour, used sparingly can assist in the eyes feeding the brain correctly, tracking to the right points. Keep up the great work.

From what I see there are few improvements needed. I particularly like the survey. My only complaint is that there is no "Paul Vander Klay Fans" group but I can wait.

You're welcome to create groups once hit level 4!

I love the visual aspects and graphics of FB. Maybe bring in an artist to help with that to make it more visual?

Agree with you that this site could use a bit more polish. It's a labor of love so it probably has a more hand-crafted feel than corporate. One day at a time 🙂

Anything you could do in terms of streamlining and making more obvious Navigation would be useful.
I would suggest that “groups” (Recent Group Activity) window come up below the general postings (Recent Member Activity) window.
Most people looking for a Group already know what to look for.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. I'll start by making a toggle to hide it ... putting on my list! Thanks!

Perhaps think about setting up categories for topic posts; Abortion, Economics, Foreign Policy, Immigration, Taxation, Terrorism, etc. That way people can more easily find discussions that interest them the most.

We've tags for posts and will be making it more obvious soon - thanks for the feedback!

I'm worried that the IDW might be a bunch of hypocrites.

I would like to see more of the post so i don't have to click on it if i am not inerested

Nice idea! I just set up a toggle for members to choose to see more of the posts in the list. You can toggle it here: [slug.com]

I believe that the world, and this country in particular, is badly in need of a TRUE free speech marketplace, where people are not censored or removed from the conversation for expressing views that some may find controversial or offensive. I also want to have an honest, open forum for discussing the facts and the false narrative of topics like global warming, abortion, immigration etc. It would be amazing if this could become a source of UNBIASED, easy to understand FACTS about the history of conservatives in social reform, preserving and respecting nature, limiting government and respecting rights.

Yes, we are starting with community and will use the community to help categorize facts and opinions in a constructive manner.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20034
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.