slug.com slug.com

1181 378

Let us know your ideas on how to improve this new site!

As we just launched this site, we're still adding features and ramping up promotion. Let us know what you'd like to see here and we'll make it so! Our goal is to help facilitate not only the exchange of ideas but to help consolidate a clear message on important topics.

Also, please give us your thoughts on how we should best position this site so as to live up to the ideals of the IDW movement.

Thanks so much!

Admin 8 Feb 14

Be part of the movement!

Welcome to the community for those who value free speech, evidence and civil discourse.

Create your free account

1181 comments (751 - 775)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree with the comment that 'fans' is not what we are. Please change the designation. Thx

Sure, what do you have in mind?

@Admin Well, how about Interest Group - eg: Jordan Peterson Interest Group. That's the term many technical societies use for their topics. Or Topics - Jordan Peterson, if 'interest group' is too long. But overall, something neutral, since we are not groupies!
On that note, will Jordan Peterson post to the group that bears his name, as he does on Twitter? (and likewise for Dave Rubin, etc)?

I Browse Groups, click into one (in browser), then Join and gives error.

Yes, we had a bug for a few hours yesterday but it's fixed now. Thanks!

I don't know how to say this without sounding negative but I'm going to say it anyway...

IMO, at first glance this site really comes off a kind of pretentious, full of itself and set up to be as 'bad' as Facebook ever was. The difference seems to be in who's holding the reigns. In reading through the rules and about all the "levels", "coins" and potential sanctions and such it really seems like just another leftist-type clique / club with the 'elites' reserving their ability to censor whomever / whatever they don't like-- presumably the people engaged in 'wrong-speak'. I find it highly intriguing that a site purporting to be about free speech and the marketplace of ideas would even have the word "wrong-speak" in a formal, user-facing document.

That said, I'm signing up because I'm interested in looking over the site and testing the waters here to see if maybe there are some interesting people to talk to or maybe some new ideas to consider. It will be interesting to see if this site is able to live up to its own hype over time. I hope it does because the world desperately needs a REAL virtual public street.

you have articulated pretty well the feeling that I had.
The seems to be a bit of a conflict between the the ideas of free speech, and the idea of censorship through group think that is maybe built into the system.
might end up with the steemit problem, in a different way.
I have no strong opinion yet, as I literally only just discovered it.
Cheers, and here's to seeing something work out different than first glance would have it seem.

@spaingaroo Agreed, and nice to make your acquaintance!

I am pretty much a suck it and see guy, FB has been a disappointing place of late, seems you can not say anything about anything without some one somewhere being offended. When i heard about this site I thought " why not give it a try" which is precisely what I am doing. I will be doing a lot of reading and a lot of listening just to see how the land lies.

@Mapporunt FYI, here are the rules, they include the words "wrong-speak". How is that word even relevant on a site that purports to be about 'free speech'?

@spaingaroo I've been indirectly involved in the free speech movement for 25 years and am working hard to prepare for the next phase of the IDW movement. We've been live for 2 months and are building it as we go. Thanks for the feedback!

There definitely should be a section for Thomas Sowell (this is definitely a bias on my part as I think he is likely one of the most intelligent people I know of). I think fellow users of this site would really enjoy his ideas and work.

Check the groups 🙂

Please give me a heads up on how I use the coins?

Maybe a little less text heavy, black and white, I feel if you copied other social media platform models it could be easier to navigate your way round and understand the different groups within the IDW

Conversely, perhaps they'll discover a more useful way to get people talking. 😉

Maybe a little less text heavy, black and white, I feel if you copied other social media platform models it could be easier to navigate your way round and understand the different groups within the IDW

I just joined, have to view your site & will give you my feedback!
Thx
Cathie Post

Hi Cathie! I gave you a bunch of coins - I think you can use them to "buy IDW merch" - I don't buy merch myself (I already have too much clutter) so I just use my coins to give to others.
You were a Stew for Continental?! you might have known my oldest brother - he was a pilot. Anyhow as you can see I am now following you here on IDW. Glad you have arrived! BTW, this is where I spend much of my time - I only check in on YT once every day and then leave after just a few moments. I don't miss it really. LOL

I believe The Museum Of Communist Terror needs to be recognised in an age where conformity has become a fusion of Fascist & Totalitarian idéologies that are indistinguishable in their aim to force people to submit both within a religious & political setting. Any form of extremism & contributes to Mental Health problems & victim cultures make it easier to control a population & inculcate irrational fears & phobias

I'm a conservative in a liberal state.........challenge. raising 3 grandkids taught to embrace liberalism by their parents, now deceased. I am making up for lost years of influence. I don't want to see my country destroyed by the idea that loving life, loving God, protecting my family and my beliefs makes me an ignorant immoral person to be shunned by the majority. I want my grandkids to understand why i believe as i do, to make their own intelligent decisions and be able to stand when life gets difficult. Ssharing ideas, talking and learning from like minded intelligent individuals that have different experiences and knowledge and feeling free to share my own are the reasons i joined this platform.

Protecting your beliefs can make you an ignorant immoral person if your beliefs are ignorant and immoral. Nothing wrong with anything else though

Oh. Nazis are going underground again. Good to know
I will see myself out.

I potentially share some of your concerns. But I'm going to stick around a bit to see how it goes.

Our theory is it's better to talk publicly than to not.

I have not run into any Nazis. But I think we should be able to discuss differing viewpoints in a factual way, it keeps our brains fresh.

I am so happy to see your site!!! It will be so nice to be able to interact with others who can discuss the issues that are destroying our Country and the World. Thank you for this.

I'm interested in how to get some one signed up for a cheritable donation .

Just send me a private message with the details.

When you want to tag people make it possible to predict the persons name and show the profile picture so you can get it right. Some usernames are easy to misspell.

Good idea. I'll put it on the list. Perhaps it will just search the usernames which are in the tread... right?

Btw those old men emoticons bring back memories and its fun.

Regarding text formatting, is there a place to see how to accuratly do it ? On PC theres are a few buttons but not mobile and i have seen people use bullet points. Is there more ? Quote function, spoiler function and such.
I accidentally deleted my comment regarding saving comments/post because i thought the star was it, but it isnt what i thought it was. Being able to go to my save would be nice

We recently updated the text input to make it simper and removed some buttons. You can do the formatting tags manually. See [slug.com] on how to set it up.

Ahoy mateys! Completely new to IDW. thx 4 the invite!

Q - It's not clear how we launch groups. Anything i'm missing? How's it done?
Merci ...... JR.

Yep, members who are level 4+ can initiate a group.

It seems that the "Posts from My Groups" page (/groups/mygroupposts) doesn't work, or at least doesn't display posts from my groups like the "Posts from All Groups" page (/groups/posts). Currently, it just shows all the groups I could join instead of posts from my groups.
For your design consideration, viewing posts from the groups I joined was the first thing I wanted to do after making my profile and joining groups, so giving that section more space on the home page may make sense.
There is also a potential security vulnerability I messaged the admin account about.

Yes, thanks for your message. We fixed the 'My Group Posts' links on mobile and checked for the issue you mentioned and every was and is still fine.

Idea on how to improve this new site:

On our profiles, we are asked: "Are you (do you consider yourself to be) a Social Justice Warrior (SJW)?"

You are guarenteed to get "No" as an answer most of the time, from the people who typically fall into the Progressive/Identity Activist, Intersectionality Theory Promoting Neo-Liberal perspective on politics. SJW is an insult meant for violent yet weak protestors demanding progressive policy change. It is a derisive term that is imposed by those outside of the group looking in, upon the cohort. The same way many devout people of the Christian religion in America are now automatically pegged as "Evangelicals" to imply simple small mindedness that deserves no deeper look, and many people who voted for Trump in 2016 are called "Trump Supporters" to insinuate that they endorse all his conduct, Twitter statements and all he is claimed (by CNN) to symbolize.

If you want to get an accurate representation of what perspectives new members of this site are coming into IDW with, you have to change the wording from SJW to some INTERNALLY accurate label, according to Progressives/SJWs themselves.

My best suggestion is some mix of the words "Progressive" and "Society" and "Advocate" and "Change"

Great comment! We just updated the profile questions edit form to let you erase your responses. Yes, we are working on a way to better understand what members are looking for. Thanks!

Deadpan: I somehow didn't notice that question. However, please warn us of any "social justice warriors" as biased or not, I have no use for such twisted individuals in my life. However, I'm all for "real" social justice (doesn't require that someone else become responsible for my whims) and that people are treated equally based on merit.

Similarly on the "Are you Adventurous or Cautious", I would add a "Both" response because I think it's more than possible to be both, and for good reasons.

So i finally was able to visit the site on a browser as opposed to the app. So is there an easier way to view the the pictures in a group as opposed on clicking on each one? like a way to browse through them? a pop-up with arrows or something that allows you to click through the images in the group instead of having to click on each one individually to go into the posts for that group. also is there a plan for private groups? Groups that are not accessible unless you are part of the group?

Yes, on mobile... we just updated the groups to make all of this easier. Yes, private groups are in the road map.

I will let you know. but I just joined and do not have any idea of this site runs or works.

You can check out the Tutorial under the "Learn" button. Welcome!

Excited to dive into this website. As our rights and liberties are being attacked by the left, I love the premsie of this website, freedom. Freedom of thought and freedom of expression. Cheers to insightful conversation and the truth.

Let's get out of the land of confusion through honest conversations

I'm new here, so, see how it works!

Maybe a list of (or possibly a search engine for) subjects being discussed. Something easier and faster than scrolling.

Thanks for putting up this site and inviting me!

Yep... we need to show our search form and tags field more clearly. Thanks!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20034
Slug does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.